Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Data tables and Latex

1. Jun 22, 2006 #1
    Hello Everyone,

I have a question about publishing some data in Latex. I don't want to have to enter the data by hand into the latex document. Is there an easy way to take the data from a text file into latex and have it generate a table? Or would it be easier to just create a .eps file from some other software and include the table as graphics?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem?
    Thanks for any help or insight anyone can offer.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2006 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You cancopy and paste, then you will have to do some formatting. I don't think there is a way to read a file into LaTex in a table format.......

4. Jun 23, 2006 #3
    There is a need little add-in to Excel that allows you to convert tabels into decent latex code. So it is properly easier (and better) to just import your data into excel and convert it to latex.

Its called xl2latex and is available on CTAN, http://www.dante.de/CTAN//support/xl2latex/ it is made for Excel97 but i have used it with both 2000 and XP, and although i get a runtime error it works fine.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  5. Jun 23, 2006 #4
    Would this be compatible with OpenOffice.org Calc? If not is there a similar program available?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

6. Jun 23, 2006 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?