Data transfer from MS Excel to PSPP

In summary: Excel and then use a different tool for cleaning it.But...you could always generate it in Excel and then use a different tool for cleaning it.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: analysis stats

Find below a sample of the data that i want to import onto spss; My intention is to have the data appearing as one variable only on PSPP.

1643943911607.png

This is how it appears on PSPP;
1643945053852.png

It defaults as 5 variables, ...i used comma delimited and i am aware that the pspp regards any comma/space as a variable i.e if you were to have for instance;{20 30 90} on one excel cell then importing this to pspp( using comma delimited ), yields 5 variables on pspp...which is not exactly what i want. I want the data on Ms excel to be imported onto spss as one variable only.

cheers...

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
That is not going to be easy using standard export/import routines. I can see two solutions:
  1. (better) generate data in Excel in a more consistent format
  2. (kludgy) write a simple search and replace script in [insert your favourite scripting language] to process the CSV file into the shape you want.

Likes chwala
Cheers, the other option would be to have the multiple items appear as one item that is, instead of {a b c}, I would have my item appear as {abc} on excel...then import.

Unless you're trying to learn techniques to do the process, it seems data set is small enough you can just create it in SPSS by replicating the data there.

Likes chwala
FWIW, if you're interested in learning how to scrape/import/export data, then data cleaning is where it's at. Most of the time you'll spent having to deal with mangled data, rather than with the design of models.

Likes chwala
The actual data set has ##25,000## entries. The attached excel is just a dummy. I wanted help on duplicate entries that appear on a cell. Cheers.

Likes WWGD
FWIW, if you want to do something beyond
chwala said:
The actual data set has ##25,000## entries. The attached excel is just a dummy. I wanted help on duplicate entries that appear on a cell. Cheers.
My bad. Let me think about it. Though it's an example of data cleaning.

WWGD said:
FWIW, if you want to do something beyond

My bad. Let me think about it.
Thanks @WWGD

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
My bad. Let me think about it. Though it's an example of data cleaning.
Excel is the wrong tool for data cleaning.

Are you actually creating this data in Excel or are you reading it in from a CSV file? If the latter, please post (an extract from) the CSV file here. What tools do you have available: Python? Perl? Nothing but a web browser?

I have the raw data on an excel sheet and i need to import to pspp...i am converting using the csv format. The data is too large to be uploaded here. Kindly note that i was able to import the data and subsequently analysed the data. The only issue was as indicated on post 1. I have data appearing as indicated on excel sheet ...

check column G for e.g Row 1 has two entries { 12 & 14} as shown...on importing to pspp...it defaults as two variables [i.e variable 1 and variable 4 as shown on pspp] ...i want this to appear\default as one variable only hence the reason why i posted this query. I hope this helps ...

Last edited:
chwala said:
I have the raw data on an excel sheet
How did it get there? If you are generating it with formulae, just use different formulae. If you have uploaded it from a CSV file it would be easier to work with the original CSV file. If you have been sent the file as an xlsx file then it would probably best to save it as a CSV file. You can then use any decent text editor (e.g. Visual Studio Code) to replace all " " (space) characters with "\n\r" (otherwise known as CRLF). Or write a Python, Perl etc. script to do this.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
pbuk said:
How did it get there? If you are generating it with formulae, just use different formulae. If you have uploaded it from a CSV file it would be easier to work with the original CSV file. If you have been sent the file as an xlsx file then it would probably best to save it as a CSV file. You can then use any decent text editor (e.g. Visual Studio Code) to replace all "," characters with "\n\r" (otherwise known as CRLF). Or write a Python, Perl etc. script to do this.
Ok thanks for the info...cheers @pbuk

pbuk said:
Excel is the wrong tool for data cleaning.

Are you actually creating this data in Excel or are you reading it in from a CSV file? If the latter, please post (an extract from) the CSV file here. What tools do you have available: Python? Perl? Nothing but a web browser?
Well, it does live there at the moment.

WWGD said:
Well, it does live there at the moment.
But it is trivially easy for Excel to export it in CSV format.

anorlunda said:
But it is trivially easy for Excel to export it in CSV format.
Where to? I mean, what else should be used?

WWGD said:
Where to? I mean, what else should be used?
pbuk said:
any decent text editor (e.g. Visual Studio Code) to replace all "," characters with "\n\r" (otherwise known as CRLF). Or write a Python, Perl etc. script to do this.

Edit: or you could do it in a browser with some JavaScript like this that I just wrote:

Last edited:
Oh wait a minute, it's extra spaces you want to convert to CRLFs, not ","s. I've edited accordingly above.

Last edited:
Likes chwala

1. How can I transfer data from MS Excel to PSPP?

To transfer data from MS Excel to PSPP, you can follow these steps:
1. Open the Excel spreadsheet that contains the data you want to transfer.
2. Select all the data you want to transfer by clicking and dragging your cursor over it.
3. Press "Ctrl + C" to copy the data.
4. Open PSPP and create a new data file.
5. Press "Ctrl + V" to paste the data into the PSPP data file.
6. Save the PSPP data file.

2. Can I transfer multiple sheets from an Excel workbook to PSPP?

Yes, you can transfer multiple sheets from an Excel workbook to PSPP by following these steps:
1. Open the Excel workbook that contains the sheets you want to transfer.
2. Select the sheets you want to transfer by holding down the "Ctrl" key and clicking on each sheet tab.
3. Press "Ctrl + C" to copy the sheets.
4. In PSPP, create a new data file.
5. Press "Ctrl + V" to paste the sheets into the PSPP data file.
6. Save the PSPP data file.

3. What file format should I save my Excel data in for transfer to PSPP?

The best file format to save your Excel data in for transfer to PSPP is .csv (Comma-Separated Values). This file format ensures that all of your data is properly formatted and can be easily imported into PSPP without any errors.

4. How can I ensure that my data is transferred accurately from Excel to PSPP?

To ensure that your data is transferred accurately from Excel to PSPP, it is important to properly format your data in Excel before transferring it. This includes making sure that all data is in the correct format (e.g. numbers, dates, text), and that there are no blank cells or merged cells in your data. Additionally, double-check your data after transferring it to PSPP to make sure all of the information transferred correctly.

5. Are there any limitations to transferring data from Excel to PSPP?

Yes, there are a few limitations to transferring data from Excel to PSPP. First, PSPP has a maximum number of columns and rows that it can handle, so if your Excel data exceeds these limits, it may not all transfer. Additionally, PSPP does not support all Excel features, such as formulas or conditional formatting, so these may not transfer over accurately. It is always best to double-check your data after transferring it to ensure everything transferred correctly.