What's Up With the New Date Format?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, there was a recent change in the way dates and times are displayed on the website. The date is now shown numerically and on a 24-hour clock. This change was made after disabling the Nexus skin and receiving requests to bring back the time stamp on the Prime skin. It was also mentioned that the full words for "today" and "yesterday" cannot fit without adding an extra line.
NeoDevin
I just noticed this. Instead of saying today, or yesterday, it just has T and Y. The date, rather than spelling it out, is just a numerical date. I don't think it has always been like this (though I could be wrong). When was this changed?

It's also on a 24h clock, instead of 12h...

Have I just been not paying attention for a while, or is this new?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's fairly new. And old. We used to have a time stamp, and then when we got the Prime skin, dropped the time stamp for just dates (including "Today" and "Yesterday"). When we disabled the Nexus skin a few days ago, folks requested the time stamp be returned to the Prime Skin, so that's what we have now. Greg said we can't fit the full word without adding a line, so that's why just "T" and "Y".

Ok, just wondering, thanks for the info.

1. What is the new date format?

The new date format is a standard way of writing dates that was introduced in ISO 8601. It follows the order of year-month-day, such as 2021-03-20.

2. Why was the new date format created?

The new date format was created to avoid confusion and inconsistencies when writing dates. It follows a logical and internationally recognized order, making it easier to understand and compare dates across different languages and cultures.

3. How is the new date format different from the previous format?

The new date format differs from the previous format in the order of writing the date. The previous format used a month-day-year order, while the new format uses a year-month-day order. Additionally, the new format uses a four-digit year instead of a two-digit year.

4. Are there any benefits to using the new date format?

Yes, there are several benefits to using the new date format. It reduces confusion and errors when interpreting dates, it is more consistent across different languages and regions, and it is easier to sort and compare dates.

5. Do I have to switch to the new date format?

While the new date format is becoming more widely adopted, it is not mandatory to switch to it. However, it is recommended to use the new format for consistency and to avoid confusion in the future.