Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dating for Nerds

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1
    Ok, so I have little to no experience with girls. I am the shy and reserved person who struggles to meet people. Some how I have friends that are completely opposite. Dating different girls every other week.

Recently I have been thinking about breaking out of my shell, for an obvious reason. I am staying with some relatives and I just realized this hot GERMAN girls lives across the street! Now I am thinking about approaching her, but this is completely out of character for me.

What do I do? I am in unchartered waters.
    Is there a simple PDE I can solve for this?

For the girls:
    If a guy approaches you and asks for your number is it creepy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes there is a PDE, however the solutions have multiple singularities that destroy the fabric of space-time. It is considered the most accurate model to date.

4. Jun 26, 2009 #3
    Darn. I always thought the PDE would be the heat equation with simple boundary conditions.

5. Jun 26, 2009 #4
    Locked pending Cyrus' return.

6. Jun 26, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Where is that **** anyways? My Cyrus-Siren hasn't gone off lately alerting me to a new thread of his for me to trash.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2009
  7. Jun 26, 2009 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh wait was there a question to this thread?

Yah anyhow, do you actually know this girl? is there anywhere you see her often?

8. Jun 26, 2009 #7
    No, I don't know her. I have seen her take the same bus from time to time.

9. Jun 26, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Is this a bus you ride? or is this just some hot chick you saw and wanna hit that :rofl:

10. Jun 26, 2009 #9
    I once asked out a girl I met while riding the bus. She had started talking to me first so it was a bit easier than it may be in your case. I also once asked a girl for her number even though I had never talked to her before. She had a boyfriend apparently but seemed flattered, at least she was nice to me and tried striking up a conversation with me the next time she saw me.
    Different girls will react differently though.

11. Jun 26, 2009 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Isn't that classed as stalking in most places?

12. Jun 26, 2009 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

only if you get caught.

13. Jun 26, 2009 #12
    It could be noted as simple observation.
    I am not stalking her.

How should I strike up a conversation?
    "So..that economy is somethin....."
    ??

Or should I go right for the kill and ask her out?

14. Jun 26, 2009 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why don't you just introduce yourself to her, and see where the conversation goes?

15. Jun 26, 2009 #14
    Did you honestly say" What is your number?".
    Sounds like things didn't turn out too bad. Did you become friend with this girl later on?

16. Jun 26, 2009 #15
    Is this normal? I have not seen anyone go up to some girl and say: "Hi, I'm such and such.."

17. Jun 26, 2009 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If you've never talked to her and you "run into her", say something like "hey, dont you live down the street?" and then introduce yourself. If you just want to just flat up go up to her just say "hey there, im so and so, i live down the street and wanted to say hi" and go from there. I honestly think any girl with great looks that goes out with anyone that walks up to them and asks them to go out must be a little... you know!

18. Jun 26, 2009 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It works. I remember I was doing some homework in one of the bulidings on campus last year and I sat next to this girl. I wasnt looking to talk to her, i just needed a place to sit. She commented on my homework and we talked and introduced ourselves, nothing awkward or anything.

19. Jun 26, 2009 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Obviously if you just stroll up to a random and do it it'll be a bit weird, but there's nothing wrong with introducing yourself to the neighbours!

20. Jun 26, 2009 #19
    Seriously? It sounds so incomplete. Girls respond to this?

21. Jun 26, 2009 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They're human too*. If someone came up to you and said they were your neighbor and wanted to say hi, you'd introduce yourself too right? Then you can start up a conversation... what do you do... how long have you lived in the neighborhood... whatever

*Disclaimer: False

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook