Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dating TA

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    Hey I'm in my second year of college and I am actually transferring next semester. The concern is the school I am transferring to is the school my boyfriend is a TA at. I know I am going to be in his class because one of the main reasons I am transferring is because the school has my major and the class required which is only taught by one professor and his one TA. My boyfriend and I have been dating for three years. He just turned 21 and I am 19. Would this be a problem at the new college, would he get fired or in trouble if found out or does the fact that we had a relationship prior negate that? Any and all answers would be helpful, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Probably. You would have to check the school's policies, but it is nearly certain that this would not be permitted.

4. Feb 18, 2015 #3

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

To the OP:

I have a few questions:

(1) Is it possible to take the required class for your major earlier in your present school, to bypass having your boyfriend as TA?

(2) Is it possible to wait a bit before taking the required class for your major so that you would have a different professor and/or different TA? In most schools that I'm aware of, the TA for a course can change from year to year, even if the professor stays the same.

(3) Is it possible for your boyfriend to speak to his professor to request someone else TA the course while you are taking it? This would avoid the conflict of interest that schools are generally concerned about.

5. Feb 24, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the help I asked and they said I could take the course over the summer with a difderent TA .

6. Feb 27, 2015 #5
    And if they were married or common law relationship - does that change the scenario? Sometimes the rules do does seem overly restrictive.

7. Feb 27, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Grading one's spouse is clearly a conflict of interest, no?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook