Are David Blaine's Card Tricks Real or Fake?

• Thread starter Myriad209
  • Start date
In summary: It's called the "bite out quarter" trick.In summary, the conversation discussed a TV show featuring magician David Blaine and his various tricks, with some viewers questioning the authenticity of his performances. It was noted that many of his tricks involve slight of hand or camera tricks. An explanation was provided for his levitation trick, involving a combination of camera angles and wires. Another trick involving a quarter was also discussed, with one person mentioning it was most likely done with a rigged quarter and a spring-loaded hinge. Other viewers expressed admiration for Blaine's endurance feats, such as standing on a pole for 72 hours. A link was shared with explanations for some of Blaine's tricks.
Myriad209
I was watching this little show last night on TLC of David Blane walking around the streets and doing his magic tricks. Some of it, I could believe was real, some of it, no way in hell. He actually levitated off the ground a few times, and it looked EXTREMELY real and all these little tricks he did were done outside, so there couldn't have been any secret strings attached. There was only a couple of times where it looked like the video had actually been edited, and looked sort of fake, but most of them looked 100%. I'd like to know how much of this is real (if any), and how much is fake (if any).

Physics news on Phys.org
The majority of it will be merely slight of hand, hidden cards etc.
I once watched a program showing what is probably the same levitation trick as you saw, but with an explanation. For starters, he gets together a group of people to show them the trick. If you stand at the right angle to people, you can make it appear that you are levitating an inch or so by supporting yourself with a part of the foot furthest from the observers. The reactions of the onlookers are captured on camera. After the onlookers have dispersed, in the same spot he is levitated by wires. For extra authenticity, extras, camera crew members etc wearing similar clothes to the original onlookers are positioned carefully, so that the cameraman can do an over the shoulder shot of him on the wires, so it looks like the same audience are present throughout. The clips are then pasted together.

There was another thing where he took a quarter and he said something like a quarter heats up when u squeeze it. So he does that, then he actualy bites part of the quarter off. Then he actually like spit the piece of quarter he bit off and madde it somehow latch onto the piece of quarter he was holding... what kind of camera trick is this? :confused:

I saw that trick with the quarter too. It looked like he had the quarter rigged with a spring loaded hinge. It was cut to look like he took a bite out (thats when he bends the quarter at the hinge). Then you only see one half until he releases the spring, and seems to spit out the broken piece. The quarter pops back very fast and is convincing. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it looked to me.

oh well, even if those are all fake, i could never stand on a giant pole suspended in the air like 100 feet high with a diameter of about 2 1/2 feet for 72 hours, or all those other things he's done

Here are some of David Blaine's tricks explained:
http://www.free-card-tricks.net/blainemagic.html

GOD__AM said:
I saw that trick with the quarter too. It looked like he had the quarter rigged with a spring loaded hinge. It was cut to look like he took a bite out (thats when he bends the quarter at the hinge). Then you only see one half until he releases the spring, and seems to spit out the broken piece. The quarter pops back very fast and is convincing. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it looked to me.

You're right. I saw this one explained too and that's exactly how its done.

1. How does David Blaine perform his card tricks?

David Blaine is known for his incredible sleight of hand skills, allowing him to manipulate cards in seemingly impossible ways. He spends countless hours practicing and perfecting his techniques, including palming, false shuffling, and misdirection. Blaine also incorporates psychological techniques and illusions to enhance his performances.

2. Are David Blaine's card tricks real or fake?

While some of David Blaine's tricks may seem impossible, they are all performed using real cards and no camera tricks. Blaine has been known to use slight of hand, misdirection, and illusions to create the illusion of impossible card tricks.

3. How long does it take David Blaine to learn a new card trick?

David Blaine is constantly learning and perfecting new card tricks. The amount of time it takes for him to learn a new trick varies, but it can take anywhere from a few days to months of practice and refinement.

4. Can anyone learn to do card tricks like David Blaine?

While David Blaine's techniques and skills may seem unattainable, with enough practice and dedication, anyone can learn to perform impressive card tricks. It takes a lot of practice and patience to perfect the techniques used by Blaine, but it is possible for anyone to learn.

5. How does David Blaine come up with new card tricks?

David Blaine is constantly pushing the boundaries and coming up with new and innovative card tricks. He draws inspiration from a variety of sources, including other magicians, everyday objects, and his own imagination. Blaine also spends a lot of time experimenting and refining his tricks before performing them in front of an audience.