David Bohm and the Implicate Order

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: But this is a long discussion.In summary, the experiment conducted by Alain Aspect in 1982 showed that subatomic particles are able to communicate instantaneously over large distances, which cannot be explained by the transfer of physical signals traveling at or slower than the speed of light. While some physicists see this as evidence of a nonphysical interconnectedness, others still believe that nothing can exceed the speed of light. David Bohm's work on the Implicate Order, while highly praised by some, is considered by others to be too metaphysical. His earlier work on causality and chance, however, has been overlooked but may offer more relevant insights.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/science/prat-boh.htm

In 1982 a remarkable experiment to test quantum interconnectedness was performed by a research team led by physicist Alain Aspect in Paris. The original idea was contained in a thought experiment (also known as the "EPR paradox") proposed in 1935 by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen, but much of the later theoretical groundwork was laid by David Bohm and one of his enthusiastic supporters, John Bell of CERN, the physics research center near Geneva. The results of the experiment clearly showed that subatomic particles that are far apart are able to communicate in ways that cannot be explained by the transfer of physical signals traveling at or slower than the speed of light. Many physicists, including Bohm, regard these "nonlocal" connections as absolutely instantaneous. An alternative view is that they involve subtler, nonphysical energies traveling faster than light, but this view has few adherents since most physicists still believe that nothing-can exceed the speed of light.

Is this the popular interpretation? This particular paragraph seemed somewhat inaccurate. I thought this notion of "interconnectedness", as described here, predated Bohm by 20 years. My impression is that Bohm offers and explanation for the EPR paradox [conclusion] that may or may not be correct.

How do you feel about Bohm's work - the notion of an Implicate Order? I have seen him represented as potentially one of the greatest minds of the century because of this work.

EDIT: I was going to read some more of Bohm's work [I had some limited exposure in college]. How seriously should his ideas be taken?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/science/prat-boh.htm
"In 1982 a remarkable experiment to test quantum interconnectedness was performed by a research team led by physicist Alain Aspect in Paris. The original idea was contained in a thought experiment (also known as the "EPR paradox") proposed in 1935 by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen, but much of the later theoretical groundwork was laid by David Bohm and one of his enthusiastic supporters, John Bell of CERN, the physics research center near Geneva. The results of the experiment clearly showed that subatomic particles that are far apart are able to communicate in ways that cannot be explained by the transfer of physical signals traveling at or slower than the speed of light. Many physicists, including Bohm, regard these "nonlocal" connections as absolutely instantaneous. An alternative view is that they involve subtler, nonphysical energies traveling faster than light, but this view has few adherents since most physicists still believe that nothing-can exceed the speed of light."

Is this the popular interpretation? This particular paragraph seemed somewhat inaccurate. I thought this notion of "interconnectedness", as described here, predated Bohm by 20 years. My impression is that Bohm offers and explanation for the EPR paradox [conclusion] that may or may not be correct.

How do you feel about Bohm's work - the notion of an Implicate Order? I have seen him represented as potentially one of the greatest minds of the century because of this work.

EDIT: I was going to read some more of Bohm's work [I had some limited exposure in college]. How seriously should his ideas be taken?

I don't think that "instantaneous action at a distance" is generally considered to be the conclusion reached as a result of the Aspect experiments. The consensus is that the Einstein (or EPR) hypothesis regarding the completeness of QM is not valid. The Copenhagen interpretation is fully supported. A lot depends on your frame of reference as to what the Aspect experiments represent.

The fundamental assumption of Bell's Theorem is that the chance of a particular outcome (or combination of outcomes) must be greater than or equal to zero. I think of this as the "reality" requirement. So I think of Aspect as testing this component, not the action-at-a-distance component of theory.

But you also asked about Bohm's work. Personally, I think his entire thinking is off on the "Wholeness and the Implicate Order" as it is too metaphysical for me. On the other hand, I am a raving fan of an earlier work of his which has been largely overlooked: "Causality and Chance in Modern Physics". This book is difficult to find, but I think it is a lot more relevant. Causality and chance are sort of complementary concepts in physics, and this really becomes apparent when you discuss the Aspect experiments.

1. Who is David Bohm and what is the Implicate Order?

David Bohm was a renowned physicist and philosopher who developed the theory of the Implicate Order. This theory suggests that there is an underlying, interconnected order in the universe that is not always visible to us. It also proposes that matter and energy are not separate entities, but rather different forms of a more fundamental, unbroken whole.

2. What is the significance of the Implicate Order?

The Implicate Order has significant implications for our understanding of reality and the nature of the universe. It challenges our traditional views of causality and the idea that everything can be broken down into smaller, separate parts. It also suggests that there may be a deeper level of reality that we are not aware of, and that our perceptions and experiences are a result of this underlying order.

3. How did David Bohm develop the theory of the Implicate Order?

David Bohm's theory of the Implicate Order was influenced by his work in quantum mechanics and his collaborations with Albert Einstein. He also drew inspiration from Eastern philosophical concepts such as the idea of interconnectedness and the concept of the "holomovement".

4. How does the Implicate Order relate to quantum mechanics?

The Implicate Order has been used to explain some of the paradoxes and mysteries of quantum mechanics, such as the phenomenon of entanglement. It also suggests that the uncertainty and unpredictability of quantum particles may be a result of their underlying connection to the Implicate Order.

5. Is the concept of the Implicate Order accepted by the scientific community?

The theory of the Implicate Order is still a subject of debate and further research in the scientific community. While some scientists have embraced its ideas, others have criticized it for its lack of empirical evidence. However, many have acknowledged its potential to provide a new perspective on the nature of reality and the mysteries of the universe.