Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

David Carradine: 1936 - 2009

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2
    Wow, he seemed like the last person to kill themselves.

4. Jun 4, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sadly a bit of a reprise of his role in Kill Bill.

Whatever the demons they are at rest.

RIP.

5. Jun 4, 2009 #4
    For anyone who followed the recent thread on euthanasia, is it possible that Carradine is just another case of a pre-emptive death with dignity? That's not the only possible reason, another might be debt/bankruptcy, but the question is why?

6. Jun 4, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reports I read stated that he was found unclothed, hanging in the closet. I find that odd...if a person was going to commit suicide, why would he strip naked?

Now, it is difficult for me to get into the head of a person in that situation...but I don't understand that.

7. Jun 4, 2009 #6
    Why would they get dressed?

8. Jun 4, 2009 #7
    How is hanging yourself in a closet a dignified death?

Like most suicides it leaves everyone wondering why. Especially someone with such a seemingly great life.

9. Jun 4, 2009 #8
    Ever hear of Michael Hutchence? The lead singer from INXS. Carradine was a little old , but I found it odd in the Wikipedia that though he was found hanging in a closet

Either way, I guess it's not my place to speculate. Kill Bill 2 was awesome and I grew up watching Kung Fu, the Legend Continues.

May he rest in peace.

10. Jun 4, 2009 #9
    The idea behind 'death with dignity' is that killing oneself is more dignified than living with the disabilities of old age and be taken care of by others.

11. Jun 4, 2009 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, I didn't realize that Carradine was in Boxcar Bertha. Seeing it now is obvious but I had never made the connection. That movie was most memorable for me because of the setting: I was on vacation in South Dakota and went to the drive-in with a really wild and much older drunk cousin who fed me and my other cousin booze, and who drove 100 mph+ on country dirt roads. It was my first wild night out.

Yep, drinkin, drivin fast, and watchin dirty movies, now that's the life.

Mom and Dad never knew about that one. :biggrin: Dad would have killed us all!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  12. Jun 4, 2009 #11
    Mr Carradine could certainly afford to live a dignified life in assisted living. Hanging naked in a closet just doesn't strike me as death with dignity. Anyhow, I doubt that is the reasoning. He seems to have been very mobile and able to care for himself up until his death.

13. Jun 4, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh, we don't even know what happened. Could you keep the euthansia debate in the appropriate thread?

14. Jun 4, 2009 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are some rumors suggesting it was not a suicide but more of an attempt at autoerotic stimulation gone wrong. An autopsy has not been performed yet, so these are still rumors. Some mainstream media sources are also dodging around quoting people as saying he wasn't suicidal and this was in the middle of filming a movie, things were going well for him, etc., so it seems while they won't report the rumors, they too are leaving open the possibility it was not a suicide.

Whatever the case, he'll be missed. I enjoyed the characters he played, especially in Kung Fu.

15. Jun 4, 2009 #14

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

He was a bit of a fruit. How he got picked for "Kung Fu" over Bruce Lee is anyone's guess (obviously racially motivated, but still). Still, it is a death of a b-movie icon. Dead in Bangkok sounds awfully fishy to me...almost like the plot of a b-movie.

Did anyone ever see the movie that was posted of him trying to sell that rubber hose posing as exercise equipment? It was on here a while ago. I can't remember who posted it. Hillarious.

16. Jun 4, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It wouldn't surprise me, really. He was always pretty exotic. I remember one incident where he had taken LSD, broke into someone's house, and proceeded to play the piano while spreading blood everywhere. I think that's the point where the cops walked in.

17. Jun 5, 2009 #16

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jun 5, 2009 #17
    That's a sad news

19. Jun 5, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not at all. It was the death of Grasshopper - Kwai Chang Caine. :cry:

20. Jun 5, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.amazon.com/Endless-Highway-David-Carradine/dp/1885203209

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. Jun 5, 2009 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never paid any attention to anything about his private life (I'm not much of a fan of celebrity gossip) so had no idea about how wild of a person he really was. I really just know his character from Kung Fu best, and really enjoyed that show.

If this really had something to do with autoerotic asphyxiation, then all I can say is I hope he died happy. You'd think there were already enough news stories of people dying from that to warn off others. There has to be some other way they can get pleasure that's safer...hold their breath or something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook