Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

David Letterman

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did everyone not know?!

It was clear that he was perverted on his show. Whenever he had female guests, he would stare down at them all the time. The very reason why I never watched him in the first. Is everyone that oblivious?

My opinion of course stays the same regardless of this "scandal" that is going on.

For those of you who watched the show, did you really not notice?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I used to watch Letterman when he was on NBC. I actually was a fan when he was the regular guest-host for Johnny Carson. By the time he left NBC, his humor (which I really enjoyed at the time) had run its course. It was around that time I no longer stayed up late.

But back then, no I never noticed such "lecherousness." I might have been oblivious, but I don't think so. Maybe he sort of became more so as he got richer and older. That often happens to people.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    The guy is over sixty and has a 5 year old child, what does that tell you?

Personally, I never liked the guy or his gay friend with the glasses that plays keyboard.

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4
    What I find most shocking is that ANY one would want to have sex with him at all.:yuck:

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ah, horrid old, rich man!

Virtuous, young female gold diggers have all been exploited, haven't they?

7. Oct 2, 2009 #6

<rolls me eyes at you>

8. Oct 2, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I don't even know what this thread is about. :confused: Maybe it's because I don't watch Letterman. I really never liked his show; it always seemed pretty stupid/juvenile. I'm glad Leno is back on, and earlier now. I can't stand Conan either, so am running out of things to watch late at night when I can't sleep.

9. Oct 2, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is another helpless victim.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LYV9AZNlFU

So the gist of this thread is that because someone appears to have committed a crime against Letterman, who so far only admits to having sex with women on his staff, one of whom he married, Letterman is a letch?

What's more, this is based on the opinion of someone who claims that he didn't watch the show?

At this point it sounds to me like Letterman took down a crook because he refused to be intimidated. Good for him!

10. Oct 2, 2009 #9
    I find it amazing that his ratings went through the roof on the West Coast.
    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/0...s-conan-in-preliminary-thursday-results/29279

"David Letterman and CBS’s Late Show (1.2/6 rating/share for adults 18-49) bested Conan and Tonight Show (1.0/5) according to Nielsen’s 24 local markets with People Meters.

Conan narrowly prevailed with the younger 18-34 crowd though 0.7/4 vs. 0.6/3"

11. Oct 2, 2009 #10
    I don't see any problem with him having sex.

12. Oct 2, 2009 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I liked Letterman into the mid/late 90's, but then it got where if I did stay up that late I'd prefer to waste time surfing the web than watching TV.

13. Oct 2, 2009 #12
    Tells me you don't know squat about him, but jump to conclusions.

14. Oct 2, 2009 #13
    That's my understanding. Someone was blackmailing him, trying to extort money from him, and threatening to expose the fact that he'd had sex with some female members of his staff over the years. So he and his lawyer planned a sting in the form form of a fake payment and Letterman himself confessed to anything the person could have possibly exposed, and the person was arrested.

He was smart, did the right thing, had some balls and some courage, and stopped a crime against himself.

I'm trying to figure out what's to mock.

15. Oct 2, 2009 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I didn't know anything about this.

I've got to applaud him for his cahones.

I find this interesting:

"I have had sex with women who worked on this show," Letterman told the audience matter-of-factly. "And would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would. Especially for the women."

Erin Matson, action vice president for the National Organization for Women, called Letterman's jocularity offensive.

"That plays into same old sex stereotypes that men can do whatever but women should be ashamed of their sexuality," she said.

Ms. Matson seems to think that Mr. Letterman felt the women would be ashamed that they had sex.

She seems to completely miss the far more likely meaning that Mr. Letterman felt the women would be ashamed that they had sex with him.

Letterman was obviously being self-deprecatory for the humour value.

16. Oct 2, 2009 #15
    me neither. whose business is it, anyway? it doesn't make him "lecherous", either.

17. Oct 2, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's exactly how I heard it, too! But no one I know heard it this way...well, I don't care. It's much funnier the way we heard it, Dave.

18. Oct 2, 2009 #17
    Does it really matter what Ms. Matson says or thinks? Who is she? I've never heard about her - why should I care?

19. Oct 3, 2009 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Same here. I have nothing against him as a person, but I've never liked his humour. I only saw the 'confession' because it was on the news. Good on him for taking the blackmailer down.

20. Oct 3, 2009 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is the clincher. He is a comedian after all.

21. Oct 3, 2009 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The only thing I never liked about him was how much of a jealous control freak he is on air. He hates it when his guests get any limelight and will immediately steal it back.

I was really unimpressed with his handling of Kreskin. Kreskin is a has-been and we all know he's a trickster. So there was no harm in letting him have some dignity in showing his final trick. Kreskin asked. Letterman refused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook