Dawn dead in Ceres orbit, ran out of fuel Oct 2018

• I
  • Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fuel Orbit
In summary, the Dawn spacecraft observed Ceres for an hour on Jan. 13, from a distance of 238,000 miles (383,000 kilometres). A little more than half of its surface was observed at a resolution of 27 pixels. This video shows bright and dark features.
Ahuna Mons with multiple double craters in attendance. ~450'/pixel
Impressive buttresses, aretes, columns or whatever they are. Curious talus or glacis, for want of a better word, at bases of the largest ones.
ceres5a.jpg

Chained craters, center right, lower right
ceres5b.jpg

For laughs
220px-Krak_des_Chevaliers_14.jpg

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dotini said:
Ahuna Mons with multiple double craters in attendance. ~450'/pixel
Impressive buttresses, aretes, columns or whatever they are. Curious talus or glacis, for want of a better word, at bases of the largest ones.
Ahuna Mons close up.PNG

A little closer view here, all the features you mentioned and another of those weird artifacts. I believe the term Talus is the appropriate word for the flanks of this thing. Pretty cool real estate, I hope the geology of this gets explained.

Likes Dotini
And a couple of late comers that were recently posted on the JPL site. :smile:

PIA20673_hires.jpg

PIA20674_May23_lg.jpg

5/24 Image release.
PIA20675.jpg

Image was taken on 4/17/16 at an altitude of approximately 240 miles or 385 Kilometers

Released on 5/25/16, taken same day and altitude as post #950
Expecting more data to be released soon.

PIA20676.jpg

- from Chief Engineer/ Mission Director, Marc Rayman (JPL)
May 26 - Dawn Completes Another Mapping Campaign

"Dawn has completed the photography of the Ceres landscapes it began on April 11,
pointing its camera slightly ahead and to the left. Combining pictures from that
perspective with the earlier pictures looking straight down makes stereo views.

The spacecraft is now transmitting its last set of pictures and other data to Earth. After
it finishes tomorrow, it will begin a new photography campaign, this time taking
pictures with the camera looking slightly ahead and to the right. These pictures will
form new stereo views, allowing further refinements in topographical maps of the alien
terrain.

Since arriving in orbit on March 6, 2015, Dawn has now completed more than 1,000
revolutions around the dwarf planet".

Likes Hoophy and Lord Crc
PIA20677.jpg

:partytime:May Journal's out!

May 31 - "Dawn Continuing to Study Ceres
Dawn is transmitting its latest pictures and spectra of Ceres to NASA's Deep
Space Network.The spacecraft is healthy and all systems are working well.
Early tomorrow morning it will resume observing the dwarf planet.

The May Dawn Journal explains how scientists use Dawn's photographs of
craters to measure the age of geological features. It also presents some
surprising information about samples on Earth from Vesta, which Dawn
explored in 2011-2012."

PIA20679_hires.jpg

May Dawn Journal

Likes OmCheeto
JPL seems to be releasing an image per day so I will in the future save up three or four days worth before posting them. While zooming on today's image I noticed a familiar artifact so I have posted a couple of shots showing it fairly clearly, I'm wondering if it's micro meteor damage or what it might be, any
ideas ?

PIA20680_Jun1_lg.jpg

ceres zoom June 1st.PNG

Ahuna Mons close up.PNG

Likes fresh_42
1oldman2 said:
JPL seems to be releasing an image per day so I will in the future save up three or four days worth before posting them. While zooming on today's image I noticed a familiar artifact so I have posted a couple of shots showing it fairly clearly, I'm wondering if it's micro meteor damage or what it might be, any
ideas ?

I'm guessing, dust on the lens. We've seen similar artifacts in the past.

One more problem to solve, on our endeavors: extraterrestrial windshield wipers. :smile:

Likes Hoophy, 1oldman2 and JCMacaw
OmCheeto said:
extraterrestrial windshield wipers. :smile:
I have a patent on that!

Likes Hoophy and OmCheeto
It's odd that this artifact is triangular, and the previous ones were donut shaped: [ref: page 23, May 18, 2015]

Dr. Rayman graciously explained everything back then:

May 19, 2015 12:42 PM
Hi [Om],

I don’t have time now to look at the forum (I have only ever visited it very briefly), but the images do have artifacts. Some are the result of dust that occasionally separates from the spacecraft and, being small and out of focus, can look larger than it really is. We have observed this throughout the mission, but the flux of dust is very low and it does not compromise the scientific value of the images. There are also electronic artifacts from the CCD. Most spacecraft experience both, and image processing removes them. We are releasing images that have not yet gone through the (time-consuming) full processing, although ultimately all the data, both uncorrected and fully corrected, calibrated, will be released. Of course, all images are scrutinized for moons and other real phenomena, but we know with 100% confidence that none of the stuff we see is anything other than an artifact.

We post a new image every (work) day.

Regards,
marc [Rayman, Dawn chief engineer and mission director at JPL]
bolding mine

Likes mheslep and 1oldman2
"June 6 - Dawn Operations Remain Smooth"

"After sending its most recent findings to Earth on June 4-5, Dawn is observing
Ceres again, acquiring new photographs and spectra. The mission has already
surpassed all of its original objectives for exploring the dwarf planet, and it is
continuing to collect bonus data".

PIA20681_hires 2.jpg

PIA20682_hires.jpg

PIA20683_hires.jpg

Likes Hoophy, JCMacaw, Lord Crc and 1 other person

"June 9 - Dawn to Adjust Orbit
Dawn started beaming more photographs and spectra to JPL yesterday, and it is continuing
today."

"Every three weeks, the flight team evaluates Dawn's orbit to determine whether an adjustment is
needed. These "orbit maintenance maneuvers" (OMMs) were described in the February Dawn
Journal. Most of the OMMs have not been necessary and so were canceled. Now a small
refinement is needed, and the first part will be executed this afternoon starting shortly after 4:00
PM. Dawn will thrust with its ion engine for about an hour. The spacecraft will perform more
small maneuvers on June 17 and 18."

PIA20646.jpg

PIA20684.jpg

PIA20685.jpg

1oldman2 said:
Dawn will thrust with its ion engine for about an hour.
For an estimated delta_v of just 20 cm/s.

Likes Hoophy and 1oldman2
mfb said:
For an estimated delta_v of just 20 cm/s.
That seems an amazingly subtle dance Dawn is doing with Ceres gravity, Thanks for quantifying that.

The kids at JPL were awarded their trophies on Thursday.

Really glad I became a pen pal with Dr. Rayman.
Really glad that Marcus got me hooked on this mission.

Smart people make good friends. :smile:

Likes JCMacaw and 1oldman2
Wait, what?

Will Dawn Visit a Third Object in the Asteroid Belt?
June 6, 2016
NASA is considering sending the Dawn spacecraft to a third asteroid after it finishes its mission at the dwarf planet Ceres.

hmmm... I haven't really been keeping up on the xenon supply... hmmmm...

Likes 1oldman2
OmCheeto said:
Wait, what?
hmmm... I haven't really been keeping up on the xenon supply... hmmmm...
My thoughts too...

How did I miss this news?

20 April 2016
NASA’s Dawn probe may visit third asteroid after Ceres and Vesta
This summer, Dawn’s Ceres mission will officially end. But earlier this week, principal investigator Chris Russell of the University of California at Los Angeles and his team sent a proposal to NASA for an extension.

Perhaps I'll extend my road trip this week, to include Pasadena. I think I need a face to face chat with Mr. Rayman...

Likes 1oldman2
That would be amazing.

It does make sense, if they have sufficient xenon. Ceres' shadow is approaching, so the current orbit doesn't allow continued operation for too long. I wouldn't expect that Dawn can shift the orbital plane fast enough to make that attractive, going to an eccentric orbit with even lower periapsis is discouraged by the goal to keep the orbit stable, and taking picture #20 of the same spot doesn't give as much science information as the first few pictures anyway.

Likes 1oldman2 and mheslep

June 14 - Dawn Stereo Mapping Proceeding Well

"Yesterday and today the spacecraft transmitted its latest Ceres data to Earth. Now it is taking
more stereo photos to reveal the three dimensional character of the alien landscapes. It is
also continuing to acquire neutron, gamma ray, visible and infrared spectra of Ceres."

PIA20647.jpg

PIA20648.jpg

PIA20649.jpg

PIA20650.jpg

Asteroids are getting a lot of attention lately. :wink:

"June 17 - Dawn To Complete Orbit Adjustment
Dawn has had another very productive week of operations, but it has still
more to do. Occasionally Dawn executes small maneuvers with its ion
engine to keep the orbit synchronized with the observation plans. These
orbit maintenance maneuvers (OMMs) are always performed in two
windows separated by eight or nine days. The first part of the latest OMM
was on June 9. Today the spacecraft will complete the OMM, this time with
two thrust segments. Starting about 4:00 PM, it will use its ion engine for a
little over an hour, and then it will thrust once more for 44 minutes starting
shortly after 1:00 AM tomorrow. The combined effect of all three thrust
segments is to change Dawn's velocity by about 0.8 mph (1.3 kilometers
per hour).

Following the OMM, the spacecraft will point its main antenna at Earth to
transmit more pictures and spectra. On June 19, it will resume observing
Ceres."

PIA20651.jpg
PIA20652.jpg
PIA20653.jpg

June 24 - Dawn Making More Ceres Measurements

The spacecraft transmitted a large volume of Ceres measurements on June
22-23 and now is collecting even more stereo photos and spectra of the dwarf
planet.

Dawn and Ceres orbit the sun together, independently of Earth. Shortly before
4:00 AM PDT today, the spacecraft was pi astronomical units from Earth, or
about 292 million miles (470 million kilometers). One astronomical unit is the
average distance between Earth and the sun.

Likes Lord Crc
Likes Dotini and 1oldman2
:partytime:http://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/dawn-completes-primary-mission
June 30 - Dawn Completes Prime Mission and Continues Observing Ceres

June 30 - Dawn Completes Prime Mission and Continues Observing Ceres

Today marks the official conclusion of Dawn's prime mission, which began when
the spacecraft left Earth on September 27, 2007. The mission has far surpassed
all of its objectives for exploring protoplanet Vesta and dwarf planet Ceres.
Some interesting statistics and other information on the prime mission are here.

Dawn transmitted a large volume of scientific data to Earth on June 27-28, and it
is continuing to observe Ceres even as the prime mission concludes. On July
1-2, it will transmit more pictures and spectra from its final mapping orbit at an
altitude of 240 miles (385 kilometers).

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news-detail.html?id=6553

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
I guess the recent spectroscopy data makes staying at Ceres more attractive, compared to the idea of going to a third object. But then they will have to do something about the orbit to stay out of the shadow.

Likes 1oldman2
mfb said:
I guess the recent spectroscopy data makes staying at Ceres more attractive, compared to the idea of going to a third object. But then they will have to do something about the orbit to stay out of the shadow.
I have read one of the main reasons for leaving Ceres orbit is there are rules in place concerning the contamination of other bodies by Earth organisms, thus they don't want Dawn crashing on Ceres. I'm just wondering why that wouldn't apply to a third body as well. In the case of the Juno spacecraft they plan on deorbiting and burning it up in the atmosphere of Jupiter to remove the chance of it contaminating Europa or other satellites of the Jovian system.

The nominal mission let's Dawn stay in its current orbit. Dawn doesn't go to a lower orbit partially for that reason: the current orbit is expected to be stable for decades, if we think we have to avoid a crash there is enough time to plan and launch a mission that captures Dawn and puts it in a higher orbit (or even completely away from Ceres).

Likes 1oldman2
OmCheeto said:
How did I miss this news?

Perhaps I'll extend my road trip this week, to include Pasadena. I think I need a face to face chat with Mr. Rayman...

I guess Marc was upset that I didn't come visit. :redface:

...NASA determined that the Dawn spacecraft should remain at the dwarf planet Ceres, rather than changing course to the main belt asteroid Adeona. [ref]

Well, at least we know where they were planning on going.

Likes 1oldman2
OmCheeto said:
Well, at least we know where they were planning on going.
I can't tell you how pleased I am with this decision! :woot:

July 6 - Dawn Exploring Ceres in Extended Mission
"NASA Headquarters approved an extension of Dawn's mission at Ceres,
taking advantage of the probe's capabilities to continue making discoveries
about the nature of this fascinating dwarf planet.

Dawn has been acquiring more stereo images and gathering additional
information with all of its spectrometers. The spacecraft began sending its
latest data to Earth early this morning, and it will continue until tomorrow
afternoon when it resumes its observations."

PIA20821.jpg

PIA20822.jpg

PIA20823.jpg

PIA20824.jpg

<h2>1. What is the significance of Dawn running out of fuel in Ceres orbit in October 2018?</h2><p>The Dawn spacecraft was launched in 2007 with the purpose of studying two of the largest bodies in the asteroid belt, Vesta and Ceres. It was the first spacecraft to orbit two extraterrestrial bodies and provided valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. Running out of fuel in Ceres orbit marked the end of its mission and the completion of its objectives.</p><h2>2. How did Dawn's fuel run out?</h2><p>Dawn's fuel, hydrazine, was used to power its ion thrusters, which helped it maneuver and maintain its orbit around Ceres. After more than 11 years of operation, Dawn's fuel supply was depleted, causing it to lose control and crash into the surface of Ceres.</p><h2>3. What were some of the key discoveries made by Dawn during its mission?</h2><p>Dawn's mission to Vesta and Ceres provided valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. Some of the key discoveries made by Dawn include the presence of water on Ceres, evidence of past geological activity on both Vesta and Ceres, and the confirmation of Vesta as a protoplanet, or a large asteroid that is a precursor to a planet.</p><h2>4. What impact did Dawn's mission have on our understanding of the asteroid belt?</h2><p>Dawn's mission to the asteroid belt provided scientists with a wealth of data and images that helped to improve our understanding of this region of our solar system. It helped to confirm the theory that the asteroid belt was once a much larger and more active region, and provided evidence for the formation of some of the largest asteroids in the belt.</p><h2>5. What are the future implications of Dawn's mission and its end in Ceres orbit?</h2><p>Dawn's mission has paved the way for future missions to explore and study other small bodies in our solar system. The data and images collected by Dawn will continue to be analyzed and studied by scientists, providing new insights and discoveries for years to come. The end of Dawn's mission also marks the end of an era, as it was one of the first missions to use ion propulsion, a technology that is now being used in other spacecraft and is revolutionizing space travel.</p>

1. What is the significance of Dawn running out of fuel in Ceres orbit in October 2018?

The Dawn spacecraft was launched in 2007 with the purpose of studying two of the largest bodies in the asteroid belt, Vesta and Ceres. It was the first spacecraft to orbit two extraterrestrial bodies and provided valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. Running out of fuel in Ceres orbit marked the end of its mission and the completion of its objectives.

2. How did Dawn's fuel run out?

Dawn's fuel, hydrazine, was used to power its ion thrusters, which helped it maneuver and maintain its orbit around Ceres. After more than 11 years of operation, Dawn's fuel supply was depleted, causing it to lose control and crash into the surface of Ceres.

3. What were some of the key discoveries made by Dawn during its mission?

Dawn's mission to Vesta and Ceres provided valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. Some of the key discoveries made by Dawn include the presence of water on Ceres, evidence of past geological activity on both Vesta and Ceres, and the confirmation of Vesta as a protoplanet, or a large asteroid that is a precursor to a planet.

4. What impact did Dawn's mission have on our understanding of the asteroid belt?

Dawn's mission to the asteroid belt provided scientists with a wealth of data and images that helped to improve our understanding of this region of our solar system. It helped to confirm the theory that the asteroid belt was once a much larger and more active region, and provided evidence for the formation of some of the largest asteroids in the belt.

5. What are the future implications of Dawn's mission and its end in Ceres orbit?

Dawn's mission has paved the way for future missions to explore and study other small bodies in our solar system. The data and images collected by Dawn will continue to be analyzed and studied by scientists, providing new insights and discoveries for years to come. The end of Dawn's mission also marks the end of an era, as it was one of the first missions to use ion propulsion, a technology that is now being used in other spacecraft and is revolutionizing space travel.