Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dawn dead in Ceres orbit, ran out of fuel Oct 2018

1. Feb 23, 2016 #841

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

==actually I'm really glad to have these regular updates from the Dawn mission director Marc Raman==

February 22, 2016 -Dawn's Exploration Continuing Smoothly

Orbiting Ceres at about 610 mph (980 kilometers per hour), Dawn circled the dwarf planet five times on Feb. 19-20 with its main antenna aimed at Earth, sending pictures and spectra to NASA's Deep Space Network. Following that, it returned to pointing its sensors at the ground beneath it and has been acquiring more data since then.
    ==endquote==

It seems like this LAMO phase of the mission, when highest resolution images, surface chemistry indications, and subsurface density formations are being recorded, is going quite successfully so far. Notwithstanding that several of us are eager to see some preliminary results on the chemistry (which have mostly not been forthcoming).

Still, http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/index.html?view=list_view&start=0
    there have been some interesting high resolution images of surface features posted. these can give better ideas of subsurface tectonic processes and what the surface material is made of.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. Feb 26, 2016 #842

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

===business-as-usual update from Rayman===
    February 26 -Dawn Sends Back More Valuable Observations

Dawn is wrapping up another good week in its final mapping orbit at Ceres. On Feb. 24-25, it returned a wealth of data including photos, nuclear spectra from its gamma ray and neutron detector and infrared spectra from its visible and infrared mapping spectrometer. It is collecting still more data now, which it is scheduled to send to Earth on Feb. 28-29.
    ==endquote==

the acronym for "gamma ray and neutron detector" is GRaND.
    We'll be hearing more about the data collected by that instrument, I'm confident of that.
    Ultimately beyond what we already know about Ceres (mass, temperature, surface plasticity, water content, rotation/shape...) it is the CHEMISTRY that will determine if the small planet will be an attractive site for subsurface chemical/materials manufacturing industry. Raw materials and manufacturing in low gravity is something humans haven't tried yet and could change the way we evaluate our possibilities.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #843

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

DAWN JOURNAL IS OUT!
    http://dawnblog.jpl.nasa.gov/2016/02/29/dawn-journal-february-29/

===update from Rayman===

February 29 -Dawn Surpasses Its Objectives

Dawn is transmitting its latest pictures and spectra to NASA's Deep Space Network today. Shortly before midnight tonight, the spacecraft will turn to point its sensors at Ceres again and resume its observations.

Dawn's long interplanetary adventure to explore two of the last uncharted worlds in the inner solar system has been extremely productive. The probe has successfully completed all of the measurements it was designed to make, fulfilling the objectives set for it many years ago. Nevertheless, it will continue to acquire data as it orbits the distant dwarf planet. For details, see the February Dawn Journal.

==endquote==

==EXCERPT from 29 Feb Dawn Journal==
    ...Even though Dawn has met its full list of objectives at Ceres, it continues to return new, valuable pictures and other measurements to provide even greater insight into this relict from the dawn of the solar system. For example, it is acquiring more nuclear spectra with its gamma ray and neutron detector, sharpening its picture of some atomic elements on Ceres. In addition, taking advantage of its unique vantage point, Dawn is collecting more infrared spectra of locations that are of special interest and soon will also take color photos and stereo photos (as it did in the third mapping orbit) of selected areas.
    ==endquote==
    Note: The 31 December 2015 Dawn JOURNAL is especially informative and well-illustrated about what Dawn is doing now.
    http://dawnblog.jpl.nasa.gov/2015/12/31/dawn-journal-december-31/
    in particular about the gamma and neutron spectroscopy, but other things as well
    http://dawnblog.jpl.nasa.gov/2015/12/31/dawn-journal-december-31/#radiation

Link to the cumulative image gallery;
    http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/ceres.html

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  4. Mar 4, 2016 #844

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

==Rayman==
    March 4 -Dawn at Maximum Distance from Earth

As Dawn continues exploring Ceres, today it is at its greatest distance from Earth for the entirety of its extraordinary extraterrestrial expedition. It is more than 3.95 AU (367 million miles, or 591 million kilometers) from its original planetary home. Details and a diagram are in the February Dawn Journal.

Dawn will spend much of today and tomorrow radioing data to mission controllers. It will take the signals almost 33 minutes to travel from the spacecraft to Earth. The probe will resume its scientific observations early tomorrow afternoon.
    ==endquote==

Sample of the kind of images Dawn is now returning:
    http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/image-detail.html?id=PIA20390
    PIA20390.jpg

5. Mar 4, 2016 #845

OmCheeto

Gold Member

"The image resolution is 118 feet (36 meters) per pixel."

That's about the length of my property. [66x110]
    hmmm......
    I've plotted my property inside the crater, in a bright pink.
    PIA20390.oms.property.highlighted.png

I wish I were young enough to make an actual trip to Ceres, to kick around them cliffs. :smile:

6. Mar 4, 2016 #846

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  7. Mar 4, 2016 #847

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

8. Mar 7, 2016 #848

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Happy first anniversary in Ceres orbit everyone!
    :partytime:

9. Mar 7, 2016 #849

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

1 Ceres "year" would be even better, but then we have to wait a long time to celebrate.

Pictures of the Occator crater should exist by now, so I'm really curious why they are not available yet. Did the white spots change? Or something else that needs more investigation?

10. Mar 7, 2016 #850

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Per their entry on Facebook:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hprofile-xaf1/v/t1.0-1/p32x32/10407865_10152971606581560_1925656806933192592_n.jpg?oh=a33ed140abda8fe301b58253a9171c3d&oe=57612258 [Broken]
    Cavaliere Quilargo
    "Happy Birthday- but more important: Where are the Pictures from 385Km distance from the occator crater? And whats the reason for this unbelievable delay"
    22 hours ago · Edited
    https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hprofile-xtf1/v/t1.0-1/c9.0.24.24/p24x24/11999018_750911745055286_1093856950355387861_n.jpg?oh=1e29e49a6fdd45b17e7d4e2a3ccf3aec&oe=575C5D3F
    NASA Dawn Mission
    "When the science team submits results and hypotheses on findings to professional periodicals like Nature and Science and Icarus, there is an embargo on the content until publication. There are several due out this spring, so stay tuned. The process of science is painstaking, especially when visiting a new world for the first time. We appreciate your patience"!
    57 minutes ago

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  11. Mar 7, 2016 #851

mfb

2017 Award

That would indicate that they have something big...

12. Mar 7, 2016 #852

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Just looking at the image that Marcus posted in post # 847, I have many questions about what is going on.

Why are the cliffs in the upper left hand corner so smooth?
    Is there some type of Martian type hydraulic sand flow going on?​
    Why do some linear features look like cracks, and others look like rows of bouncing asteroid impact craters?
    Are those "non-fracture looking ones" caused by incoming asteroids, or ejecta?
    Do they differentiate like that due to the lighting, and are they all geographically pretty much the same?​

I'm hoping for some big sciencey answers. Or, in the least, non-layman speculation.

13. Mar 7, 2016 #853
    What i find interesting in your questions is that even as a layman I noticed the same things you note here before coming to this post. I'll be tuning in regularly to see what explanations are given by the science community.
    (I have added "sciencey" to my vocabulary) love the sound of that.

14. Mar 7, 2016 #854

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  15. Mar 7, 2016 #855
  16. Mar 7, 2016 #856

OmCheeto

Gold Member

17. Mar 7, 2016 #857

OmCheeto

Gold Member

My condolences, to anyone who threw away their red-blue 3d glasses., as, you're missing this.......

lamo.ahuna.mons.3d.jpg

18. Mar 7, 2016 #858
    I know what you mean. That landmark keeps reminding me of 2001 A space Odyssey and I can't help but wonder what A. Clarke would have thought about it.

19. Mar 7, 2016 #859

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I remember when he passed away.
    I was very upset with him.
    I hadn't even started on my warp drive engine.

20. Mar 7, 2016 #860

mfb

2017 Award

I have 3D glasses, but they work with polarization :(.
    The shadows still give a reasonable idea of the terrain structure.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted