Dazed in College: Understanding Dimensional Analysis & Metric Units

• Thread starter chewbocka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, Dimensional Analysis is used to make sure that the two sides of an equation are comparable, have the same units. To do this, we use "general units" to present SI-units. The dimensions of length (L), time (T), and distance (v) can be combined to the dimension of v, which is length per time = L*T^-1. Normally, we need to find out what the exponents for the units are in order for the equation to be consistent.
chewbocka
Dazed and Confused!

Help! :cry:

Would somebody please explain Dimensional Analysis so that I can understand it...?

And

Is there a standard format to converting Metric Units of Measuring?

Confused in College!

Example:
35mm____________________________m

Physics news on Phys.org
1 mm = 0.1 cm

1 cm = 0.01 m
0.1 cm = 0.001 m
So,
1 mm = 0.001 m

35 mm = 35 X 1 mm = 35 X 0.001 m = 0.0035 m

What Recon meant is that:
35 mm = 35 X 1 mm = 35 X 0.001 m = 0.035 m

One zero too many. .)

Here's a table with the values of different prefixes so you can do the conversions: http://searchsmallbizit.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid44_gci499008,00.html

Dimensional analysis is used to make sure that the two sides of an equation are comparable, have the same units. We use "general units" to present SI-units. For example, the dimension of length is L and time is T. These can be combined to the dimension of v, which is length per time = L*T^-1.

Usually you need to find out what the exponents of the units need to be for the equation to be consistent.

For example, let's analyze the equation for distance travelled: x = x_0 + vt + ½at^2.

The dimensions are x=L, x_0=L, v=LT^-1, t=T, a=LT^-2 and t^2=T^2.
This gives us the equation L = L + LT^1 * T + LT^-2 * T^2. The right side turns out to be just L:s, so it's dimension is the same as the left side, so it's physically consistent.

Usually you need to find out what the exponents for these units are.

Hope that was clear enough. I'm in a hurry, so I can't write anymore.

The biggest point that my algebra teacher never made, and that the book didn't specifically say, was that all you are really doing in dimensional analysis is multiplying by 1.

Remember that you can multiply anything by 1 and not change it's overall value. (5/7) * (3/3) still has the same value as 5/7 even though it doesn't look exactly the same after you multiply. You could also write it like this and it still means the same thing (5/7) * (3/(1+2)).

In dimensional analysis we do the same thing. If we have 3 miles and we want to go to meters, we set it up so that we multiply by 1 a few times to change the units to meters but the overall value, in this case the distance, stays the same.

start like this
3 miles * (5280 ft/1 mile) * (1 meter/3.28ft) = (15840 miles ft meters)/(3.28 miles ft) = 4829.3 meters

Treat the dimensions (ft, mile, meter) as variables that can be canceled. So in this case, the miles cancel and the ft cancel leaving us with the only units that don't cancel, meters. Divide the top number by the bottom and you get your final answer in meters.

I don't know if this helps or not, but it was the biggest point that I missed the first time I was exposed to it.

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science to convert units of measurement from one system to another. It involves using conversion factors and canceling out units to ensure that the final answer has the correct units.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in college?

Dimensional analysis is important in college because it is used in various science and math courses to solve problems involving units of measurement. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are metric units?

Metric units are a system of measurement based on the International System of Units (SI). It is commonly used in science and is based on decimal units, making it easier to convert between different units.

4. How is dimensional analysis used in everyday life?

Dimensional analysis can be used in everyday life to convert units of measurement, such as converting from miles to kilometers or from pounds to kilograms. It is also used in cooking and baking to convert measurements for recipes.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis include using incorrect conversion factors, not canceling out units correctly, and not paying attention to the units in the final answer. It is important to double-check all calculations and units to ensure an accurate result.