1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DB question

1. Mar 6, 2006 #1
    hi, i need help in understanding something on sound. if admam works near a jet plane that is taking off and experiences the sound level of 150dB. then the protectors to reduce the sould level to that of a chain saw, what decrease in dB is needed? i think it's 40 but i am not sure.
    and also if Adam hears something that sounds like a whisper then what would a person w/o protectors hear? is there even a difference....
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2006 #2
    The decibel is a logarithmic scale. The decibel level can be calculated by

where [tex]I_{0}[/tex] is a constant reference intensity = [tex]10^{-12}W/m^{2}[/tex] This is roughly the intensity of a just audible sound.

Your problem can be solved only if the intensity of the chain saw is known.
    I don't understand your problem .... sorry ....

who are those protectors??? and how can they reduce the sound of an aeroplane?? :wink:
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  4. Mar 6, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your book should have a table with some common sound levels. Wikipedia has a table that is probably virtually identical with the table in your book (and, yes, that is a 40dB decrease).

Do you understand the relationship physicsprasanna gave? If you do, then you'll realize why decibels come in so handy. They turn a multiplication problem into an addition problem (i.e. - if the sound is the same as a barely audible whisper (0 dB), then a person without ear protection will hear a sound 40dB louder).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?