Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC-AC Inverter for light loads

1. Mar 9, 2017 #1

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have an alarm system that I would like to put on a UPS. Problem is the UPS that I've tried aren't very happy on the light load presented by the alarm. The power consumption is virtually zero unless the alarm is sounding. I think this is causing the UPS I have to generate a lot of noise that's messing with the alarm panel.

The panel operates from a 220VAC to 9VAC mains adaptor. I've looked at a few options such as increasing the battery capacity in the alarm panel itself and feeding the panel something like 12-13V DC (which should go through it's bridge rectifier) but these introduce other problems.

So what I'm looking for ideally is a 12V DC to 220V AC pure sine wave inverter that is stable on loads from 0 to say 50W. Do such things exist as I can't find one that specifically refers to light load operation.

An alternative would be a 12V DC to 9VAC pure sine wave inverter.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2017 #2
    The class of UPS you need is called 'home network battery backup', like the BGE50/70/90 series.
    I'm sure it exists for 220V too.

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pure sine is going to be expensive.

This el-cheapo inverter will be happy at light load. Here in US it's under twenty bucks at Walmart, surely there's a 220 volt version in your country.
    https://smedia3.webcollage.net/0144...WSLYKQ&Signature=DBWkz5FQCSQVUd3V1+LODFnYkvo=

If the problem is in your alarm panel, ie it's intolerant of a harmonic-rich power source, this inverter won't do your job. A snip from the manual:

upload_2017-3-11_8-29-9.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted