DC Circuit Analysis: Kirchhoff's Laws

In summary, the homework statement is a DC circuit with three components. The current through the 5 Ω resistance is 1.12 A, the potential at a is +/-19 V, and the magnitude of the potential at a is +/-8 V.
gkamal
1. Homework Statement

A DC circuit is shown below. Note the ground (V=0) in the circuit

2iswe9g.jpg

1- calculate the current through the 5Ω resistance. Use "+" sign for the current directed from right to left, and "-" sign if the current flows from left to right.

2- The sign of the potential at a is:

3- The magnitude of the potential at a is:

Homework Equations

I1=I2+I3
-11I2+7-5I1=0
19-8I3-6I3+7-5I1=0

I1 being the current flowing clockwise in the loop from 7V going down [a] and back to 7V
I2 being the current going down [a] through the 11ohm resistor
I3 is the loop going anti-clockwise from 19V up the 11ohm resistor and back to 19 V

3. Attempt at solution :

I found the answer for number 1 to be 1.12 A but I am not sure if its right and not sure what is the sign for the direction.Also, i found the answer for number 2 to be positive but I do not understand it fully so please explain , for number 3 I have no clue what to do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the details of your calculation for part a? We can't comment on or help you with what we don't see.

2hgs121.jpg

Those are my calculations, please ignore the + and - on the resistors that was just me playing around

It would be very helpful if you could type in your equations and explain your steps as you go. Otherwise helpers have to puzzle out where you started on the image and what you're intention was. Further, if they come across what appears to be an error, how are they to quote it and point it out? Many will just pass on making the effort and move on to another post.
That being said, I have spotted what appears to be a sign error in your expression for I3 derived from the outer loop KVL equation. Check your algebra there.

I don't see what is wrong with it , the equation would be [-26-5I1]/-14 since it's a -14 i could just flip the signs of the numerator to get rid of the minus tell me if I'm wrong.Also please help me with number 3 , I have no idea where to start. I also added my equations above so please check them if that would make this clearer to u

gkamal said:
I don't see what is wrong with it , the equation would be [-26-5I1]/-14 since it's a -14 i could just flip the signs of the numerator to get rid of the minus tell me if I'm wrong.Also please help me with number 3 , I have no idea where to start. I also added my equations above so please check them if that would make this clearer to u
When you moved the ##-5I_1## from the left side to the right side, why didn't it change sign?

okay so i get 1.38 for I1 after fixing that equation thank you I don't know how I missed that one and also for the direction part of the question this would flowing from left to right so the answer should be -1.38 right?.Please give me a hint for number 3 because i really have no idea where to start...

All you need to be able to do is sum up the potential changes on a "KVL walk" from the reference node to node a. What path can you follow where you know all the potential changes?

I find I2 then calculate the voltage drop across the 11 ohm resistor and since i have I1 i can calculate the voltage drop across the 5ohm resistor.So I did that and i get -6.89 and i add both voltage drops across the resistors and after i add 7 i get 0.1075V does that look reasonable to you ?

You only need one path from the reference node to node a. Any path that takes you there is fine. You can follow either your yellow path or your green path. You don't need both. This is not a closed loop KVL walk; it's a walk from a starting point (the reference node) to another point where you want to know the potential.

But if you have already solved for ##I_2## then you should know that the potential at node a is the same as the potential across the 11 Ω resistor, since it's the only component in that path from the reference node to node a.

Likes gkamal
thank you very much I got the right answers you were very helpful

gkamal said:
thank you very much I got the right answers you were very helpful
You're welcome :smile:

What are Kirchhoff's laws in a DC circuit?

Kirchhoff's laws are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that describe the behavior of currents and voltages in a closed loop circuit. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop must equal zero.

How do Kirchhoff's laws apply to DC circuits?

Kirchhoff's laws apply to DC circuits in the same way as they do in AC circuits. They are used to analyze the behavior of currents and voltages in a circuit and can be used to solve for unknown values such as current, voltage, and resistance.

What is the difference between Kirchhoff's current law and Kirchhoff's voltage law?

Kirchhoff's current law deals with the conservation of charge, stating that the total amount of current entering a node must equal the total amount of current leaving the node. Kirchhoff's voltage law, on the other hand, deals with the conservation of energy, stating that the sum of voltages around a closed loop must equal zero.

Why are Kirchhoff's laws important in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's laws are important in circuit analysis because they provide the basic principles for understanding and analyzing the behavior of currents and voltages in a circuit. They allow us to solve complex circuits and determine the values of unknown parameters, making them essential tools for scientists and engineers in the field of circuit analysis.

Can Kirchhoff's laws be applied to circuits with multiple sources?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws can be applied to circuits with multiple sources. In this case, the total current entering a node must equal the total current leaving the node, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each individual current. Similarly, the sum of voltages around a closed loop must still equal zero, considering the voltage drops across each source and component in the loop.