Solve DC Circuit Problem: Find Potential Difference & Current

In summary: The question is what would it be parallel with?In summary, the problem involves finding the potential difference between points a and b, as well as the current of the 20 ohm resistor. The circuit can be simplified by grouping the 10 and 5 ohm resistors together, creating two separate loops. The simplified path and the bottom path with the 20 and 5 ohm resistors can potentially be treated as parallel paths, but it is unclear with what they would be parallel with.
thaer_dude

Homework Statement

Find
a) the potential difference between points a and b
b) the current of the 20 ohm resistor

I drew the diagram in MS Paint. Should be good enough.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6515/circuitf.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

I just don't know where to start, since I'm not sure how the current will behave. Will it leave the battery, hit the "intersection" near b, and then split off in all 3 directions? Or will it simply go one way towards b then loop around and go back up to a then take the top wire through the 10 ohm resistor and back in the battery? I don't know, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Between points a and b you have 3 resistors. Normally you could simplify them by adding resistances but with that power source there you can't do that. However you can still add the 10 and 5 ohm resistances together and treat them as one path... then the problem reduces to a circuit with two loops. Knowing this you should be able to find all the currents as well as the potential drop on the simplified path.

Thanks, that definitely helped, but why can't the "simplified path" and the bottom path with the 20 and 5 ohm resistors be treated as if they were in parallel and then simplified further into one path?

thaer_dude said:
Thanks, that definitely helped, but why can't the "simplified path" and the bottom path with the 20 and 5 ohm resistors be treated as if they were in parallel and then simplified further into one path?

Good question! There IS no reason the 5 and 20 Ohm resistors couldn't be treated as a parallel path.

1. How do I approach solving a DC circuit problem?

Solving a DC circuit problem involves using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit and determine the potential difference and current at various points. It is important to first draw a clear and accurate circuit diagram and label all known values before proceeding with calculations.

2. What is potential difference and how is it calculated?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit charge from one point to another by the amount of charge.

3. How do I use Kirchhoff's laws to solve a DC circuit problem?

Kirchhoff's laws are used to analyze the flow of current in a circuit. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of all currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving the node. The second law, also known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of all potential differences around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

4. What is Ohm's law and how is it used in solving DC circuit problems?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference across it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. It can be represented by the equation V = I * R, where V is the potential difference, I is the current, and R is the resistance. Ohm's law is used to calculate either the potential difference, current, or resistance in a circuit when the other two values are known.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving DC circuit problems?

While there is no one "trick" for solving DC circuit problems, it is helpful to be familiar with different circuit configurations and their equivalent resistance, as well as common circuit analysis techniques such as using the voltage divider rule or current divider rule. It is also important to double check calculations and pay attention to units to avoid errors.