How to Find Total Resistance in a DC Circuit

In summary, the author is trying to find the total resistance for a circuit, but is having trouble. They accidentally drew two extra resistors and when they tried to solve for the total resistance, they got an incorrect answer.
fobbz

Homework Statement

Breakdown, and find the total resistance for this circuit.

Homework Equations

V=IR

Parallel Circuits - 1/Rtot = 1/R1 + 1/R2 ...

Series Circuits - Rtot = R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4176/centralkootenayj2011122.jpg

Please don't mind the resistor units, they're all in kΩ.

Basically, I try to breakdown the circuit into its most simple form. I feel however that in my 3rd recreation I'm doing something wrong.

In the first circuit diagram, I took the two resistors on the right and made them one (as they're in series). I then considered the two resistors on the far right in parallel, finding the new resistance. However --- is this correct, as there is the 6 ohm resistor just before it. Must I include this in the Rparallel equation? I have tried this but still I get an incorrect answer, of 2.67kΩ.

My answer as done in the picture is 2.5kΩ. However the supposed answer is 3kΩ.

And no there isn't supposed to be a rounding of the answer.

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is fine but in your 3rd diagram the 12 resistor immediately to the right of the battery should not be there.
You will then get the correct answer.

3.0 k

technician said:
Your method is fine but in your 3rd diagram the 12 resistor immediately to the right of the battery should not be there.
You will then get the correct answer.

I'm sorry but I do not understand. In the preceding diagrams the 12 resistor is there... why should it no longer be there? I must be missing something.

You have drawn two of them, should be one. An extra one materialized from nowhere!

NascentOxygen said:
You have drawn two of them, should be one. An extra one materialized from nowhere!

oh my god! I'm such an idiot.

I saw he 12V battery and wrote in an extra resistor.

Thanks. hahaha.

What is a DC circuit?

A DC (direct current) circuit is a closed loop of conductive materials through which an electric current can flow in one direction. It typically includes a power source, conductors, resistors, and other electrical components.

What is total resistance in a DC circuit?

Total resistance in a DC circuit is the combined resistance of all the components in the circuit. It is measured in ohms and is calculated by adding up the individual resistances of each component in the circuit.

How is total resistance calculated in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is simply the sum of the individual resistances. For example, if there are three resistors with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 10 + 20 + 30 = 60 ohms.

How is total resistance calculated in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated differently. The reciprocal of each individual resistance is added together, and then the reciprocal of the sum is taken. For example, if there are three resistors with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 1/10 + 1/20 + 1/30 = 0.1667. The reciprocal of this number is then taken, resulting in a total resistance of 6 ohms.

Why is total resistance important in a DC circuit?

Total resistance is important in a DC circuit because it determines the amount of current flowing through the circuit. A higher total resistance will result in a lower current, while a lower total resistance will result in a higher current. This can impact the functionality and safety of the circuit.