1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Circuit trouble

1. Feb 26, 2004 #1
    I'm having trouble solving this problem:

Three resistors(parallel) across a DC voltage source...If the total current through the circuit is I = 2.0A, what is the currect through the 12ohm resistor?

The circuit runs into a junction which splits 3 ways. Along each path there's are resistors 2ohm, 6ohm, and 12ohm, respectively, and all meet again andthen flows back to the battery.

It's parallel so I breaks up into I1, I2,I3
    I found two equations:

8/3V = I1(2ohm) + I2(6ohm) + I3(12ohm)
    I = I1 + I2 + I3

I found the voltage by first find the equivalent resistor for R1, R2, and R3, (R = 4/3 ohm) So V = IR => V = 2(4/3) => V = 8/3V.

I need to find the current through R3, and I could if I had one more equation, but I'm stuck. I can't see any other equations by loop rule or Kirchoff's law. So, any help will be appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good start!

Two words: Ohm's Law

You know the voltage across the 12Ω resistor (it's the same as the voltage of the battery). You also know the resistance, so just use V=IR and you're home free.

edit: typo
  4. Feb 26, 2004 #3
    I knew I was forgetting something. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?