DC Circuits Homework: Calculating Power & Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of resistance and power in a circuit with eight lights connected in parallel to a 119V source. It is suggested to use an equivalent circuit with a series resistor to represent the loss in the wires and to apply Kirchoff's current and voltage laws, Ohm's Law, and the expression for power in order to find the correct answers.
mustang1988
1. Eight lights are connected in parallel to a 119V source by two leads of total resistance 2.5 ohms. If 240mA flows through each bulb what is the resistance of each? What fraction of the total power is wasted in the leads?

2. V=IR, P=I^2(R)

3. V=.24(119)=495.83/8=62ohms
P=(.24)^2(62)=3.57W
These are the answers i got but according to my book they are wrong. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well as for your first question you seem to have V=iV.

Now you know the resistors are connected in parallel.

To find the total resistance of all components, add the reciprocals of the resistances R of each component and take the reciprocal of the sum. :D.

Last edited:
2.5ohms is the total resistence? I thought that was just the resitence in the wire going from the battery and the wire going to the battery

Last edited:
In addition to what you already know about the circuit, you need (well, I suggest):

1) An equivalent circuit where you include a 2.5 ohms series resistor to represent the loss in the wires.
2) Kirchoff's Current Law
3) Kirchoff's Voltage Law
4) Ohm's Law
5) The expression for power.

Use them in that order, and see how that goes.

what is Kirchoff's current law and voltage law? they're not in my book

1. What are DC circuits?

DC circuits are electrical circuits that operate using direct current (DC) as opposed to alternating current (AC). In DC circuits, current flows in one direction from a higher potential to a lower potential, and the voltage remains constant over time.

2. How do you calculate power in a DC circuit?

Power in a DC circuit can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. This formula can be derived from the equation P = IV, where V is voltage and I is current.

3. What is resistance in a DC circuit?

Resistance in a DC circuit is the measure of how much a material or component resists the flow of electricity. It is measured in ohms and is represented by the symbol Ω. Resistance can be calculated using the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

4. How can you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances in the circuit. This can be calculated using the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where Rtotal is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, and the current is the same at all points in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, and the current is divided between the branches. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit is the sum of the individual resistances, while the total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the smallest individual resistance.