Solving a 1.50E2-W Heater Problem

• Thread starter cseet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heater
In summary, the problem involves a heater with a designed EMF of 120V and a power change caused by a small change in potential difference. The relationship between voltage and power can be found using the equations E=I*R and P=E*I. The resistance is fixed and the relationship between E and P can be established by solving the latter equation. Further explanation and help can be found in the linked forum response.
cseet
Hi all,

I really need somebody to explain to me how to work the following problem...

Q:
A 1.50E2 - W heater is designed to operate with an EMF of 120V. If the potential difference across the heater changes by a small amount such as 2.6%, approximately by what factor does the power change? (Hint: approximately the changes with differentials) (unit %).

can somebody kindly explain to to go about it?? thanks
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, how about trying this.

E=I*R
P=E*I

E is voltage or potential
I is current
R is resistance
P is power

The resistance should be fixed. Solve the latter eq to establish the relationship between E and P.

Cliff

H2. What is a 1.50E2-W heater?

A 1.50E2-W heater is a heater that has a power output of 150 watts. This means that it is capable of producing 150 joules of heat energy per second.

H2. What is the purpose of solving a 1.50E2-W heater problem?

The purpose of solving a 1.50E2-W heater problem is to determine the appropriate settings or adjustments needed for the heater to function efficiently and effectively, or to troubleshoot any issues that may be hindering its proper functioning.

H2. What factors should be considered when solving a 1.50E2-W heater problem?

Some factors that should be considered when solving a 1.50E2-W heater problem include the power output of the heater, the type of fuel or energy source being used, the surrounding temperature and environment, and any potential obstructions or malfunctions within the heater itself.

H2. How can I determine if my 1.50E2-W heater is functioning properly?

To determine if your 1.50E2-W heater is functioning properly, you can check the power output and compare it to the manufacturer's specifications, monitor the heat output and make sure it is consistent, and inspect for any visible damage or malfunctions.

H2. What steps can I take to troubleshoot a 1.50E2-W heater problem?

To troubleshoot a 1.50E2-W heater problem, you can check the power source and make sure it is functioning properly, inspect the heating elements for any damage or blockages, and check the thermostat settings to ensure they are appropriate for the desired temperature.