1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC circuits

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let's say i have a circuit with two resistors connected in parallel with some source. Then another resistor is added in parallel with the first two so what happen to the current in the battery?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Should the current in the battery decrease since the potential is split across the three resistors?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The third resistor is parallel to the other two parallel ones. The common points are connected to the terminals of the battery. So what about the potential difference across all resistors?

Did not you mean that the third resistor is connected in series with the other two parallel ones?

ehild

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    No it's is what it is, first there where two in parallel then there was three. The potential difference should the same across all the resistors but current would be distributed, but i'm not sure how this would affect the current going through the battery since the current would meet back up and go through the battery anyways

5. Mar 8, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the current through a resistor R when the potential difference is V across it?

What does Kirchhoff's Current Law state about the currents at a node?

ehild

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook