Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC/DC Converter

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    Hey Everyone,

I am working with the Iowa State University SAE and need to find a DC/DC Converter that fits our application. We are running two electromagnetic clutches instead of a traditional differential. So I need to be able to take the regulated 12V DC at 10A from the stator and boost it to 24V DC. Each clutch needs around 2A.

I have noticed a lot of the converters have an on/off functionality and I was considering using two converters so that I can control which clutch/clutches has power.

I have found a couple that appear to fit out application but I am kind of worried about them failing. I am hoping to find something very reliable because if they fail we will basically be out of luck at our competition. (Everyone on the team that drove 36 hours would be pretty upset with me.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Robert Hill

p.s. I need to find something on a reasonably short time frame, hopefully I can get a hold of something in the next couple of weeks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just curious: Why are you locked into a 24 volt clutch? There are tons of 12 volt clutches out there.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    Truthfully I wasn't the one selecting the clutch but from what I understand there were several 12V clutches that we looked at but either price or availability stopped us from acquiring them.

5. Feb 26, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there is still time, in the interest of cost and reliability, you might want to revisit the clutch selection.

What worries you about your existing choices? I could link to a number of options through standard suppliers but don't know that they would be any better than what you have already selected.

6. Feb 26, 2010 #5
    I guess truthfully I am not sure what worries me. This is something I am not really familiar with and I wanted to make sure that I find something that will be very reliable.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cincon/CHB50-12S24/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtwaiKVUtQsNZk%2fyhBUJKktmTV1yafdAHw%3d [Broken]

This is the only mouser had that seemed to fit our application that wasn't out of stock for the next two months.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Feb 27, 2010 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is that you need an inexpensive supply. Industrial and military grade supplies this size can run as much as $400-$500.

I thought I had a link for one from Allied, but they didn't have the proper input range for the amp rating. You might scan Allied for any other options.
    http://www.alliedelec.com/

You might also try checking with Lambda and Sola directly.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  8. Feb 28, 2010 #7
    Tarmon: Don't forget about the weight! A converter is going to be generally heavy... a lot heavier than not having one xD Every gram makes a difference!

Oh, and we'll see you at competition this year. Good luck :)

Paul - University of Western Ontario FSAE

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook