How Many Poles Does a 1200 kW DC Generator Have?

In summary, a DC generator is a device used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works through electromagnetic induction and produces direct current. Some common problems that may occur include worn out brushes, damaged commutators, and faults in the armature windings. These can be troubleshooted by checking for wear and tear, testing for continuity, and ensuring proper maintenance and servicing procedures are followed.
himanshushanka
1. Find the number of poles for a 1200 kW separately excited generator, if the average voltage between commutator segments is 15 V and the armature ampere-turns per pole on full load is 10000. The generator has single turn coil and is lap connected. Ignore all losses.

Homework Equations

3.Power rating of an dc electrical machine is given by,
Power Rating=Voltage at output terminal delivering full load Current (VL) x Full Load Current (IFL)

Since all the losses are to be considered zero,
Voltage generated at DC generator commutator brush (Eg) = Voltage available at Output terminal (VL)

Let P be the number of poles of the generator.

Since the subject dc generator is Lap wounded,
Number of parallel path in armature winding (A) = P.

Let Ip be the current in each parallel path of armature at full load, then
Ip=Number of parallel path x IFL
IFL = P x Ip

In a parallel dc circuit the total power generated is equal to the sum of power generated in each branch, hence
Total power generated at full load (Pt) = P x Power generated in one parallel path at full load (Pp)
Note : As each parallel path will have equal number of armature conductors resulting in same voltage generated across the parallel paths i.e Eg AND the current through each parallel path is same i.e Ip.

As the coils are in series in a given parallel path,
Voltage generated in one of the parallel path = Voltage generated in one coil x Number of Coils in one parallel path

Power generate in one of the parallel path at full load(Pp)= Voltage generated in one coil x Number of turns in one parallel path x Current through parallel path at full load (Ip)

Since the commutator pitch for simplex lap winding is (YG) = ±1, we can say the (assuming simplex lap winding),
Voltage generated in one coil = Voltage generated between two consecutive commutator segments

Hence, we can write,
(Pp)= Voltage generated between two consecutive commutator segments x Number of turns in one parallel path x (Ip)
(Pp)= Voltage generated between two consecutive commutator segments x Amp-Turns in one parallel path

In case of Lap winding it can be shown that number of turns under one pole is equal to number of turns in one parallel path as shown below,

Let Z be number of conductor in a P pole lap wound dc generator, then
No. of conductors per pole = Z/P
No. of turns per pole = Z/(2 x P)

Also,
Number of conductor in parallel path = Z/Number of parallel path (A)
Number of turns in a parallel path = Z/(2 x A) = Z/(2 x P), (as No. of Parallel path = No. of Poles)

So we can re-write the equation as,
(Pp)= Voltage generated between two consecutive commutator segments x Amp-Turns per pole

Putting the data given in problem, we get
(Pp) = 15 V x 10000 AT = 150 kW

As mentioned above,
Total power generated at full load (Pt) = P x (Pp)
1200 kW = P x 150 kW
P=8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The underlined concepts used for solution is not discussed in my textbook. I request, to confirm whether it is correct or not.

Also I would like to state, above problem is from the old question paper, so I don't have solution to it, and my textbook doesn't have a similar type of problem. So, please confirm the solution provided above is correct or not

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
, and provide any suggestions or corrections if needed. I would like to confirm that the solution provided is correct. The equations and concepts used are accurate and appropriate for solving the problem. However, I would suggest double checking the calculations to ensure the final answer of 8 poles is correct. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide a brief explanation of the equations used and how they relate to the problem. This will make it easier for others to understand and follow the solution. Overall, the solution provided is well thought out and shows a good understanding of the concepts involved. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the purpose of a DC generator?

A DC generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is commonly used in power plants and other industrial applications to generate electricity.

2. How does a DC generator work?

A DC generator works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When a conductor is moved through a magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the conductor. In a DC generator, this current is collected and converted into direct current by the use of commutators and brushes.

3. What is the difference between a DC generator and an AC generator?

A DC generator produces direct current, while an AC generator produces alternating current. This means that the output of a DC generator flows in one direction, while the output of an AC generator changes direction periodically.

4. What are some common problems that can occur in a DC generator?

Some common problems that can occur in a DC generator include worn out brushes, damaged commutators, and faults in the armature windings. These issues can cause a decrease in efficiency and output of the generator.

5. How can I troubleshoot a DC generator problem?

If you are experiencing issues with your DC generator, you can troubleshoot by checking the brushes and commutators for wear and tear, testing the armature windings for continuity, and making sure all connections are secure and free of corrosion. It is also important to follow proper maintenance and servicing procedures for your specific DC generator model.