1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dc generator

1. Aug 15, 2015 #1
    Hi, so i want to ask what's the function of the split between the commutator?

my guess is to temporarily separate the opposite electrons flow between the coil and external circuit after the half cycle? so that's why the current is reversed? please i really need someone to explain how the commutator reverse the current if it's wrong. thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Stray, welcome to PF :smile: !

See here. Function is to switch polarity.
    In first order the moment the split passes the contacts, there is no voltage difference anyway because the wires that generate the emf are moving in the direction of the magnetic field (no component perpendicular to the field).

4. Aug 15, 2015 #3
    hey thanks for the reply, so my guess is wrong? i'm so sorry i just can't seem to grasp the concept yet. so, i think i understand quite well what the commutator does, but why there is a need of having the split? oh my god i'm so sorry. so if the commutator doesn't have the split, the current induced would alternate? ughh

5. Aug 15, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If there's no split, the current goes through the commutator and not through the loop (for a motor) or the external load (for a generator) :smile: .

(Actually, in both cases the current goes through both ... :rolleyes: )

6. Aug 15, 2015 #5
    so you're saying the split function is to separate the current from flowing to the 'other side' of the commutator back? anyway thank u so much for replying! :DD

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  7. Aug 15, 2015 #6
    hey, i think i've understand it now! if there's no separation between the ring, the current will not be reversed right?

8. Aug 15, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yas, and it will be a short-circuit situation, too....

9. Aug 15, 2015 #8
    ohhh thank u very much for the help!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook