Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Motor analysis confusion

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    Im working on a model in SIMULINK of an electric drivetrain with an automatic transmission.. The overall goal is to develop an algorithm controlling controlling a CVT via factors such as current, angular velocity, etc. This may seem very basic to most of you, but i know that Output torque = torque Produced by engine X Gear Ratio . How would one go about finding the gear ratio, is there anyway to find the amount of torque required for a given situation based on things like current and angular velocity?

I know how to calculate the torque produced by the motor, but is there anyway to calculate the outside forces acting on the motor in order to determine the gear ratio.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2
    I'm a bit confused. What's the purpose of the CVT? To keep the output speed constant, regardless of changes in load? In that case, can you use a control loop to measure the output speed and adjust the gear ratio and motor control?

How is "outside forces acting on the motor" different from "torque produced by the motor"?

4. Jun 23, 2011 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook