DC motor and switch frequency

In summary, the author is looking for formulas to calculate different aspects of DC motors and buck converters. They have been unsuccessful in finding any information that meets their needs. They have come up with a formula for the max current through a switched RL circuit with a freewheeling diode(essentially a DC motor with the emf substracted from the input voltage), related to PWM period and duty. If someone is interested, they will post the derivation for this one and a similar formula for Imin.
MechatronO
I've been looking around for formulas on how to calculate different aspects of DC motors and buck converters such as average current.

The reason is that I'm about to pick switch frequency for a motor, and don't know what characterics I can expect if I alter the switch frequency. Papers and publications regarding this are very much appreciated, as I haven't yet found any that answer my questions.

I succeded in coming up with a formula for the max current through a switched RL circuit with a freewheeling diode(essentially a DC motor with the emf substracted from the input voltage), related to PWM period and duty as

Imax = [itex]\frac{E}{R}[/itex] (1-e-RDT/L/(1-e-RT/L)

Where R is the circuits resistance, L is the inductance, D is the duty ranging from 0-1 and T is period time.

The circuit would look like this, with the load replaced by a resistor:
383px-Buck_circuit_diagram.svg.png

The output current would look like the non-square wave in this diagram:
2012.09.26-triangular_wave_plot.png

I think its correct, at least the endpoints are as they should. If somebody is interested I'll can post the derivation for this one and a similar formula for Imin.

I was about to determine a formula for Iavg as well, however I decided to instead look for established info.

So, publications, formulas and personal experience regarding DC motor characteristics related to switch frequency are very much wanted. I'm especially interested in a formula that relates Iavg to switch frequency and duty cycle.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seems like the biggest mystery in the world this switch frequency issue, have posted in two forums and nobody seem to know.

I tried to evalute

Iavg = 1/T∫i(t) dt

today, and came up with some rather clumpsy though exact expressions. As I couldn't simplify them enough to get an overview over the math, I used MATLAB to play around with it using the code below.

The result was surprising! No matter what switch frequency, the average current seemed to be constantly the same. Here is the resulting plot from the code below:

ddyjba.png

Why doesn't physicsforum have their own image upload btw?

If my expressions below are correct, all that is needed is some playing around with the algebra and the result would be a simple expression for Iavg involving just D, R and L I think.

It would also be interesting to see the transisition times between steady state, related to switch frequency.

Code:
clear all
close all
clc % Clear Command window

L = 0.00001;    %Circuit inductance
R = 0.1;        %Circuit resistance
k=-R/L;         %To make the code more readable later 

E=10;           %Supply voltage
D=0.9;          %Duty dycle

f= [10:10:10000] ;  %Switch frequencies
T=1./f;             %Associated periodtimes

imax = E/R*( 1-exp(k*D*T) )              ./  (1-exp(k*T))
imin = E/R*( exp(k*(T-D*T))-exp(k*T) )   ./  (1-exp(k*T));
deltai = imax-imin;

%Exact expressions for integral i(t) over one period i steady state, split in three parts
A1 = imin.*(exp(k*T)-1)/k ;
A2 = imax.*(exp(k*T)-exp(k*D*T))/k ;
A3 = E/R*(k*D*T-exp(k*D*T)+1)/k;

iavg = (A1+A2+A3)/T

%Plots
subplot(2,2,1);
plot(f,imin);
title('Imin(f)');

subplot(2,2,2);
plot(f,imax,'r');
title('Imax(f)');

subplot(2,2,3);
plot(f,deltai);
title('Idiff(f)');

subplot(2,2,4);
plot(f,iavg);
title('Iavg(f)');

The output plot is this:

Buck ckt - is Voltage Converter

IN the basic analysis Vout = Vin * Duty Cycle -- A buck ckt is a Voltage converter, and this is independent of Fsw.

Fsw is typically chosen for other factors: Losses and size of passives ( Magnetics and Caps), Ripple ( V and I) to the load, EMI, Audible noise, interference with other devices, etc...

The price for the higher Fsw is the switch and diode losses are increased. -- See the attached basic simulation - sorry I don't work with 1.5 V ! --- The good info here are the optional Characteristic plots at the end of the report. This is for sizing the power electronics - so the "limits" shown are based on maximum device temperatures - NOT the current changing based on the Fsw. For example at 20kHz the device can only handle 2/3 of the current that it can at 10kHz without overheating. - For a given load the current would be same as Fsw changes, but at 10kHz the dsvice can handle more load.

Lastly - MOSFETs do not have as high of switching losses as IGBTs - so the effect is much less pronounced, and Fsw of 300kHz - for small power are not uncommon.

Attachments

• Buck Ckt for Physics Forums.pdf
    344 KB · Views: 388
There are switching regulator simulation programs that let you determine all the efficiency issues and waveforms for inductive switching circuits of just about any topology. LTSpice is one. http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

I would suggest starting by researching the fundamental principles of DC motors and buck converters. Understanding the underlying physics and mathematics will greatly aid in determining the appropriate switch frequency for a motor. Additionally, consulting textbooks or reputable publications on the subject may provide valuable information and formulas for calculating different aspects of DC motors and buck converters.

In terms of the relationship between switch frequency and motor characteristics, it is important to consider the trade-off between efficiency and switching losses. Higher switch frequencies can lead to higher efficiency but also increase switching losses, while lower switch frequencies may result in lower efficiency but lower switching losses. Therefore, it is important to find a balance between these factors based on the specific application and requirements of the motor.

One potential formula for calculating average current in a DC motor is:

Iavg = (Vsupply - Vemf) * D / R

Where Vsupply is the supply voltage, Vemf is the back EMF of the motor, D is the duty cycle, and R is the resistance of the circuit. This formula assumes a constant supply voltage and back EMF, and neglects any losses in the motor.

In terms of personal experience, it may be helpful to consult with other scientists or engineers who have experience with DC motors and switch frequency. They may be able to provide insights and recommendations based on their own experiments and observations.

In conclusion, researching the fundamentals, consulting reputable sources, and seeking advice from experienced individuals can help in determining the appropriate switch frequency for a DC motor. It is important to consider the trade-offs between efficiency and switching losses, and to carefully analyze the specific requirements and characteristics of the motor in question.

1. What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is an electrical machine that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part), and uses the principle of electromagnetism to produce motion.

2. How does a DC motor work?

A DC motor works by applying a voltage to the stator, creating a magnetic field. The rotor, which contains permanent magnets, is then attracted to the stator's magnetic field and begins to rotate. As the rotor turns, the stator's magnetic field is constantly changing, resulting in continuous rotation of the rotor.

3. What is switch frequency in a DC motor?

Switch frequency in a DC motor refers to the rate at which the direction of current flow is changed in the stator windings. This is typically controlled by an electronic switch, such as a transistor, and determines the speed and direction of the motor's rotation.

4. What factors affect the switch frequency in a DC motor?

The switch frequency in a DC motor can be affected by several factors, including the motor's design, the type of power supply being used, and the load on the motor. Higher switch frequencies can result in smoother and more precise control of the motor, but can also lead to increased heat and wear on the motor's components.

5. Why is switch frequency important in a DC motor?

Switch frequency is important in a DC motor because it directly affects the motor's performance. A higher switch frequency can result in better speed and torque control, while a lower switch frequency may lead to less precise control and motor instability. It is important to find the right balance between switch frequency and other factors in order to optimize the motor's performance and efficiency.