DC Motor Control

• Thread starter cstoos
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am in the early stages of the design of a telescope mount and I need a control motor. I am hoping to run it on a battery so I think a DC motor is the way to go, but I need to be able to keep the rotation speed extremely constant for photographic purposes.

So, to my question: Does anyone know of a controllor that can maintain a constant speed with a varying (or most likely, decaying) power input into the motor? If you do, is it small enough to be incorporated into a portable telescope mount?

Edit: I am trying to keep it low cost, which is why I am looking at Servo alternates for now.

Answers and Replies

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The conventional approach is to use an AC clock motor driven from a battery-operated inverter. The inverter frequency can be fine-tuned to track the stars.

What kind of torque can I expect to see out of something like that? This design is going to be a bit beefier than most common mounting systems.

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You'll have to look into it. Keep in mind that you will gear down a 1 rpm clock motor by 1:1440 to turn once per day, so you'll get torque multiplication.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
good project bro. keep it up