DC motor differential equation

In summary, the transfer function for a DC-motor is a 2nd order differential equation involving the voltage and current, and the armature inductance is ignored.
Scott77
User has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template in schoolwork thread starts
question 1.jpg

This question involves finding the transfer function for the system, but I first need to get the differential equations correct. Have I set up the gearbox correctly?

question 1 answer.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Scott77 said:
This question involves finding the transfer function for the system, but I first need to get the differential equations correct.

Well, the transfer function is a differential equation. Using Laplace transform it may be written:

H(s) = output(s)/input(s)

When expressing the transfer function by its Laplace transform, it becomes much easier to calculate at controller.

I have some questions:

- Is it a DC-motor ?
- What is the input: Current or voltage?
- What is the preferred output: Speed or position?
- Is the armature damped ( Da )?
- What about the self induction in the armature, La?

If it's a DC-motor, you should come up with something like this, as for the transfer function:

Image8.gif

Use Masons rule to determine the transfer function as for the motor: ω(s) / Va(s)

This is a system modeling question. That diagram and the hints is all the info we got, but we were told to ignore the armature inductance. I don't think it matters what the input type and output type are for this type of question...

Of course the input and output type matters. If you change the type of input or output, the motors behaviour will change.

In the model, choosing ω(s) as output, the transfer function will be H(s). Choosing θ(s) as output, the transfer function will be H(s)/s:
θ(s) = ω(s)/s.

The input is ea(t) and the output is θL(t) like the question states, that is all I know.

Ok, then use these types as input/output.

Setting La = 0, you will get a 2. order transfer function.

So is does this look correct?

question 1 answer.jpg

Ka and Kb have the same value, but the units are [Nm/A] and [Vs] respectively.

There are people that can prove it.

What is a DC motor differential equation?

A DC motor differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the input voltage, current, and the resulting rotational speed and torque of a DC motor. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of DC motors for various applications.

What are the variables in a DC motor differential equation?

The variables in a DC motor differential equation include the input voltage, current, rotational speed, and torque of the motor. These variables are related through the motor's electrical and mechanical characteristics, such as the resistance, inductance, and inertia.

How is a DC motor differential equation derived?

The DC motor differential equation is derived from the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and mechanics. It combines the equations for electrical and mechanical energy conservation to describe the behavior of a DC motor in terms of its input and output variables.

What is the significance of a DC motor differential equation?

The DC motor differential equation is significant because it allows engineers and scientists to accurately model and predict the performance of DC motors in various applications. It is also used to design and optimize motor control systems for better efficiency and performance.

What are some applications of DC motor differential equations?

DC motor differential equations are used in a wide range of applications, including robotics, electric vehicles, automation, and industrial machinery. They are also commonly used in research and development of new motor designs and control strategies.