Find DC Motor for Turntable with Built-In Brake Mechanism

In summary: It is important to have precise control over the motor speed and direction for a motorized satellite dish.In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a 12v DC motor to power a turntable, with a built-in brake mechanism to prevent it from being turned by hand. They also discuss the difficulty of controlling the motor speed for listening to music and the use of a geared motor with high torque for a motorized satellite dish.
maximus999
Hi all,
I came across this forum and feel as though someone can point me in the right direction.

I am looking for a 12v DC motor to power a turntable, I have a speed controller to slow the motor down. I need to know if there is a DC motor available to buy which can't be turned by hand, a sort of a brake mechanism built in and can only move when a current is put through it.

Thanks for any replies.

Ian

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you short the two leads of a permanent magnet brush-type dc permanent magnet motor when it is off, it feels like the rotor is in a viscus fluid. Adequately controlling the motor speed with feedback to eliminate wow and flutter for listening to music is very difficult. You might need to have a speed disc permanently mounted on the underside of the platter.

Hi,
thanks for the reply, the turntable i am making is for a motorized satellite dish. I have managed to use a worm drive motor for the forward and backward motion of the dish and I am struggling with the turning of it i.e 360.

The motors which i am using move when a little force is applied and i would like to stop the movement

I suggest you use a geared motor with high torque.

1. What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is a type of electric motor that operates using direct current (DC) instead of alternating current (AC). It consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) that interact with each other to produce motion.

2. What is a turntable with a built-in brake mechanism?

A turntable with a built-in brake mechanism is a device used to rotate objects, such as records or products on a production line, at a consistent speed and then stop them quickly and precisely using a brake. This allows for accurate and controlled positioning of the object.

3. Why is a built-in brake mechanism important for a turntable?

A built-in brake mechanism is important for a turntable because it ensures that the rotation of the object is controlled and accurate. Without a brake, the object may continue to rotate or stop at an inconsistent speed, making it difficult to perform tasks such as recording or packaging.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing a DC motor for a turntable with a built-in brake mechanism?

When choosing a DC motor for a turntable with a built-in brake mechanism, you should consider the torque and speed requirements of the turntable, as well as the size and weight of the object being rotated. It is also important to consider the power supply and any additional features, such as variable speed control or feedback mechanisms.

5. Are there different types of brake mechanisms for turntables?

Yes, there are different types of brake mechanisms for turntables, including mechanical brakes, electromagnetic brakes, and regenerative brakes. The type of brake mechanism used will depend on the specific application and the requirements of the turntable.