Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC motor question

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1
    Hi all,
    I came across this forum and feel as though someone can point me in the right direction.

I am looking for a 12v DC motor to power a turntable, I have a speed controller to slow the motor down. I need to know if there is a DC motor available to buy which can't be turned by hand, a sort of a brake mechanism built in and can only move when a current is put through it.

Thanks for any replies.

Ian

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2
    If you short the two leads of a permanent magnet brush-type dc permanent magnet motor when it is off, it feels like the rotor is in a viscus fluid. Adequately controlling the motor speed with feedback to eliminate wow and flutter for listening to music is very difficult. You might need to have a speed disc permanently mounted on the underside of the platter.

4. Jun 16, 2012 #3
    Hi,
    thanks for the reply, the turntable i am making is for a motorized satellite dish. I have managed to use a worm drive motor for the forward and backward motion of the dish and I am struggling with the turning of it i.e 360.

The motors which i am using move when a little force is applied and i would like to stop the movement

5. Jul 3, 2012 #4
    I suggest you use a geared motor with high torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook