1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Motor

1. Jun 5, 2007 #1
    Hi,

What is the effect of "back e.m.f." on the torque output of a permanent magnet d.c. motor? I googled it but didn't get any results.. I just need a brief description to understand the concept..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2007 #2
    when armature of dc motor rotates, it also acts as a generator also n generates a counter emf(lenz law) which is called back emf. now this back emf is proportional to the speed at which the armature is rotating. at a particular speed it becomes equal to the applied voltage. this is the maximum speed of the dc motor.
    at the start, when back emf is zero, voltage across armature(applied voltage-back emf) is maximum, current is maximum, therefore torque is maximum(torque is proportional to current in the armature, T = I*L*B*r, I current, L length of conductor,B magnetic field, r = radius, school physics). as the speed builds up, back emf increases, voltage across armature drops, current drops and therefore torque starts to decrease.
    finally when speed is maximum, ie applied voltage= back emf, no current, no torque. therefore at no load n maximum speed, motor has no torque

4. Jun 5, 2007 #3
    Thanks mate! :rolleyes:

5. Jun 5, 2007 #4
    no probs dude. pleasure to help u

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?