Connecting 12V DC Motor to Two 9V Batteries

In summary: Your motor is rated for 3v to 12 v 15000 RPM and medium size the application is an air blower. So your really hooking up a 3-12v motor? Why not just use one 9v battery?You would need a power supply that can output 18 volts to power the motor. Two 9volt batteries in series can provide that power
cyril joel
Hello i am abeginer i have to connect a 12v dc motor can i connect it to two 9v batteries in series meabs a total output of 18V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
cyril joel said:
Hello i am abeginer i have to connect a 12v dc motor can i connect it to two 9v batteries in series meabs a total output of 18V.
Welcome to the PF.

In general, the answer would be no. But in some cases it might be okay. Do you have the specification sheet for the 12V DC motor?

Also, you can buy modules to convert your 18V supply down to the 12V needed for the motor. What current is the motor rated for? What is the application? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

In general, the answer would be no. But in some cases it might be okay. Do you have the specification sheet for the 12V DC motor?

Also, you can buy modules to convert your 18V supply down to the 12V needed for the motor. What current is the motor rated for? What is the application? :smile:
The motor is rated 3v to 12 v 15000 RPM and medium size the application is an air blower

The motor would try to run 50% faster on 18V than 12V. So it might try and go 22,500rpm

The power absorbed by a propeller is proportional to rpm cubed (http://www.eaa62.org/technotes/prop.htm) so unless you reduce the size of the load (fan) you might be asking the motor to deliver more than three times it's rated power...

(22500)3/(15000)3 = 3.4

If it's an intermittent duty cycle, it might work, but any extended run it'll probably suffer from overheating... Depending on the control system you have for it, you could run a PWM (Pulse width modulation) at about 66%, and it would give you an average of 12V.

If you're thinking of the typical 9V battery in most multimeters and electronics, etc, I think battery life would be very short too.

cyril joel said:
i have to connect a 12v dc motor can i connect it to two 9v batteries in series

cyril joel said:
The motor is rated 3v to 12 v 15000 RPM and medium size the application is an air blower

So your really hooking up a 3-12v motor? Why not just use one 9v battery?

1. How do I connect a 12V DC motor to two 9V batteries?

To connect a 12V DC motor to two 9V batteries, you will need to use a series connection. This means connecting the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other, and then connecting the remaining positive and negative terminals to the motor.

2. Can I use two 9V batteries to power a 12V DC motor?

Yes, you can use two 9V batteries to power a 12V DC motor. By connecting the batteries in series, you effectively increase the voltage to 18V, which is enough to power the motor.

3. What type of batteries should I use to power a 12V DC motor?

You can use any type of batteries with a voltage of 9V or higher to power a 12V DC motor. However, it is recommended to use batteries with the same voltage and capacity to ensure balanced power distribution.

4. Will using two 9V batteries instead of one 12V battery affect the performance of the motor?

No, using two 9V batteries in a series connection will not significantly affect the performance of the motor. The only difference is that the motor may run slightly faster due to the increased voltage.

5. How do I ensure the batteries are connected correctly?

To ensure the batteries are connected correctly, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage between the positive and negative terminals of the motor. If the voltage reads 12V, then the batteries are connected correctly. If it reads 0V, then the batteries are connected in parallel and need to be rearranged in a series connection.