DC Motors - Armature and Field interaction?

In summary, the reason why the armature and field electromagnets have a major effect on each other in a DC motor is due to mutual induction. This phenomenon occurs when a changing magnetic field in one coil induces an EMF in another nearby coil. This allows the two coils to work together and is essential for the motor to function properly.
palo
Decided not to use the template as I'm not asking someone to do my homework for me, please don't delete!

Anyway, doing my A2 coursework on the workings of a DC motor. I found that when the armature and field electromagnets are connected to separate power supplies that, when it appears they should act independently, they have a major effect on each other in terms of current and potential difference.

Pretty simply question, why? It's pretty hard Googling for an answer to this, my teacher say it's 1st - 2nd year university level but there is only so much I can do without knowing.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question! It's great to see that you are taking an interest in the workings of a DC motor for your coursework.

To answer your question, the reason why the armature and field electromagnets have a major effect on each other is due to a phenomenon called mutual induction. This occurs when a changing magnetic field in one coil of wire induces an electromotive force (EMF) in another nearby coil of wire. In the case of a DC motor, the armature and field electromagnets are essentially two separate coils of wire that are placed close to each other.

When a current is passed through the armature coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field created by the field coil. This interaction between the two magnetic fields causes changes in the magnetic flux, which in turn induces an EMF in the field coil. This EMF then affects the current and potential difference in the field coil, as you observed.

This mutual induction allows the armature and field coils to work together in a DC motor, with the field coil providing the necessary magnetic field for the armature to rotate. Without this interaction, the motor would not function properly.

I hope this helps to answer your question! If you have any further inquiries, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your coursework!

1. How does the armature interact with the field in a DC motor?

The armature of a DC motor consists of a set of windings, or coils, which are placed in the magnetic field created by the field windings. As the armature rotates, the windings cut through the magnetic lines of the field, causing an electromotive force (EMF) to be induced. This interaction between the armature and field creates the torque that drives the motor.

2. What is the role of the field windings in a DC motor?

The field windings of a DC motor are responsible for creating a magnetic field that interacts with the armature. This field is typically created by passing an electrical current through the windings, which creates a north and south pole. The strength and direction of this magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the amount and direction of the current flowing through the windings.

3. How does the direction of current in the field windings affect the motor's rotation?

The direction of current in the field windings determines the direction of the magnetic field created. This, in turn, determines the direction of the torque produced by the interaction between the armature and the field. In a DC motor, reversing the direction of the current in the field windings will reverse the direction of the motor's rotation.

4. What is the role of the commutator in a DC motor?

The commutator is a mechanical switch that ensures the armature windings are always in the correct position to interact with the magnetic field. As the armature rotates, the commutator reverses the direction of the current in the windings, keeping the torque in the same direction. This allows for smooth and continuous rotation of the motor.

5. What factors affect the efficiency of armature and field interaction in a DC motor?

The efficiency of armature and field interaction in a DC motor is affected by several factors, including the quality and design of the motor's components, the strength and direction of the magnetic field, and the amount of friction and resistance in the motor. Additionally, the speed and load on the motor can also impact its efficiency.