1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Product Question.

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is a product that requires a DC power supply but doesn't have any info on the polarity able to work with both polarities?

I'd like to find out before I try it, lest I knacker my device.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

In general yes, it would have a full wave bridge rectifier at the input, to provide "polarity insensitivity".

What is the device? Can you provide a link to a datasheet or specification?

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey berkeman. Thanks for the reply. The best I can come up with is the following but its not exactly the same.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=252506

Mine has the same basic product code but looks slightly different. I think its an older model.

5. Jul 24, 2008 #4

berkeman

What does the power input opening look like? Is it a coaxial barrel jack/plug? Those are traditionally positive tip, but not always. There should be some indication of + or - tip, maybe just hard to see if it's molded into the plastic instead of shown on a label. Does the label on the bottom of the product not indicate the polarity of the power input?

6. Jul 24, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a power jack like these:

[​IMG]

No moulding in the plastic nothing around the power jack except "DC 12V/1.25A", and nothing on the sticker on the bottom. Unfortunately I don't have any of the documents that came with it. I normally keep all of them in a box file and I've been right through and of course the only ones I don't have are for this particular product.

7. Jul 24, 2008 #6

berkeman

Well, there's about a 95% probability that it's positive tip. You could try contacting their customer support folks to double-check. They should have a diode bridge inside (maybe open it up and check?), or at least a blocking diode to prevent knackering.

Is contacting their support or opening it up an option?

8. Jul 24, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes I could contact them. Just thought it would be worth a go asking on here :biggrin:

Thanks berkeman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?