Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Product Question.

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is a product that requires a DC power supply but doesn't have any info on the polarity able to work with both polarities?

I'd like to find out before I try it, lest I knacker my device.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

In general yes, it would have a full wave bridge rectifier at the input, to provide "polarity insensitivity".

What is the device? Can you provide a link to a datasheet or specification?

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey berkeman. Thanks for the reply. The best I can come up with is the following but its not exactly the same.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=252506

Mine has the same basic product code but looks slightly different. I think its an older model.

5. Jul 24, 2008 #4

berkeman

What does the power input opening look like? Is it a coaxial barrel jack/plug? Those are traditionally positive tip, but not always. There should be some indication of + or - tip, maybe just hard to see if it's molded into the plastic instead of shown on a label. Does the label on the bottom of the product not indicate the polarity of the power input?

6. Jul 24, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a power jack like these:

[​IMG]

No moulding in the plastic nothing around the power jack except "DC 12V/1.25A", and nothing on the sticker on the bottom. Unfortunately I don't have any of the documents that came with it. I normally keep all of them in a box file and I've been right through and of course the only ones I don't have are for this particular product.

7. Jul 24, 2008 #6

berkeman

Well, there's about a 95% probability that it's positive tip. You could try contacting their customer support folks to double-check. They should have a diode bridge inside (maybe open it up and check?), or at least a blocking diode to prevent knackering.

Is contacting their support or opening it up an option?

8. Jul 24, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes I could contact them. Just thought it would be worth a go asking on here :biggrin:

Thanks berkeman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?