1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Shunt Generator

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A shunt generator has an armature resistance of 0.8Ω, a field winding resistance of 120Ω and a mechanical loss of 115W. The load resistance of 8.5Ω is connected to the output terminals of the generator. An external mover rotates the shaft of the generator at a speed of 1670rpm. If a back e.m.f. constant of the generator is 0.86Vs/rad calculate:

a) armature current
    b) terminal voltage
    c) efficiency

I really can't get going on this question, can anyone help me out?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2
    Is there any way to find a voltage from the back e.m.f.?

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Yes there is. Can you draw the equivalent circuit? You have the internal EMF with the armature resistance in series, and then both the field resistance and load resistance in parallel to complete the circuit. The terminal voltage is the one across the parallel resistors.

5. Dec 18, 2012 #4
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried to draw the equivalent circuit and calculate the values but to no success, is there any way you could show me how you would do it?

Thanks

6. Dec 18, 2012 #5
    Ive got this as the circuit, I'm not sure if its correct though.

Attached Files:

7. Dec 18, 2012 #6

uart

Science Advisor

Yes that looks right. Use the rotational EMF constant to find Ea and also combine the field resistance and the load resistance into a single equivalent resistance. Now you can use the voltage divider formula to find the terminal voltage.

8. Dec 18, 2012 #7
    Thanks! I've got Ea = 0.86*174.9 = 150.4v

Is it just (RA*RF*RL)/(RA+RF+RL) to find the total resistance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook