Finding Torque and Half Rated Torque in DC Shunt Motors

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations related to electrical circuits and their application in calculating torque, power, and efficiency in a motor. It also addresses the effect of adding resistance to the field circuit on speed and armature current. The solution to finding the required armature current at half load is discussed, as well as the method for calculating the change in speed when adding resistance. Finally, the conversation ends with a clarification on how to isolate the flux variable in the equations.
Joe85
Homework Statement
Hi All, I'm struggling a little bit with the last part of the question and would really appreciate a bit of help on how best to approach and solve. I've written below what i think is the answer but it just doesnt feel right to me so would be grateful for some guidnance.

i) A 20 kW, 500 V d.c. shunt wound motor draws a current of 45A when running at full load with a speed of 600 rev min–1. On no load, the current drawn from the supply is 5 A. If the armature resistanceis 0.3Ω and the shunt field resistance is 220Ω, calculate the armature current, speed and efficiency of the motor when the torque falls to half of its full load value, assuming that the flux per pole doesnot change.(Hint: don’t forget that all armature current is supplying torque. Onemust decide at some points what is the armature current producingtorque and at others, to determine generator emfs, the total armaturecurrent).

(ii) State what you would expect to happen to the speed if a resistance isinserted into the field circuit.

(iii) If a resistance of 50 Ωis inserted in series with the shunt field,calculate the armature current required to maintain half full-loadtorque. Calculate also the speed of the motor when supplying this torque.
Relevant Equations
Below:
Homework Equations:

E=V-IaRa
n2 = (n1×E2)/E1
If = V/Rf
V×Ia
T∝ΦIa
E∝ΦN

i)
V = 500v, N1 = 600RPM, It = 45A, Rf = 220Ω, Ra = 0.3Ω

It = Ia + If
If = V/Rf = 500/220 = 2.273A
Ia = It - If = 45 - 2.273 = 42.727A

Now: T∝ΦIa and if the flux per pole is constant then T∝Ia

So Ia when the Torque falls to half it's full load value is: Ia/2 = 42.727/2 = 21.3635A.

Since n2 = (n1×E2)/E1, we will need to find the back EMF at full load and half load.

E1=V-IaFLRa
∴ E1 = 500 - (42.727×0.3) = 487.182v

&

E2=V-IaHLRa
∴ E2 = 500 - (21.3635×0.3) = 493.591v
n2 = (600x493.591)/ 487.182 = 608RPM.

Total Power at Half Torque :
PHL = VIaHL = 500×21.3635 = 10681.75 Watts

Total Power at No Load:
PNL = VIaNL = 500×5 = 2500 WattsField Loss:
Pf = If2Rf = 2.273 × 220 = 1136.64 Watts

Fixed Loss:
2500 - 1136.64 = 1363.36

Armature Loss:
Pa = Ia2Ra = 21.3635 × 0.3 = 136.92 Watts

10684.75/(10681.75+2500+136.92 = 0.80 = 80%
Speed = 608RPM, Ia = 21.3635, Effeciency = 80%

ii)

An increase in field resistance would result in the in the reduction of current flowing in the field circuit and thus a reduction in flux. Since speed is inversely proportional to flux, if the flux is reduced the speed will increase. And since T∝ΦIa, the armature current will need to increase to maintain the same Torque output to compensate for the reduction in flux.
iii)

This is where i have hit a brick wall. I'm not sure how to find the torque or the half rated torque to begin solving this problem. Would appreciate nudge in the right direction.Thanks,

Joe.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For solving iii), use your reasoning for part ii).
What is the half load armature current before adding extra field resistance?

Thanks.
IaHL=21.3635A?

If we add the resistance to the the field circuit then:

Rf=270Ω and If=500/270 = 1.852A.

If It=45A and full load then IaFL= 45-1.852

& and the required current at half load will be IaHL = (45-1.852)/2?

Seems too simple!

Joe85 said:
IaHL=21.3635A
Right.
Joe85 said:
and the required current at half load will be IaHL = (45-1.852)/2?
No.
Hint: To maintain half load torque,
the product of field current and armature current after adding field resistance should be equal to the product of field current and armature current before adding field resistance.

Ok so:

21.365 x 2.273 = 48.558A
500/270 = 1.852A.

48.558/1.852A= 26.22A?

Joe85 said:
48.558/1.852A= 26.22A
Right.

Likes Joe85
Thank you cnh.

And the speed will just be the same as above: n2 = (n1xe2)/e1 = 606RPM?

Joe85 said:
n2 = (n1xe2)/e1
Only if the flux were constant in both cases..:wink:

Likes Joe85
Thanks again, So i should begin by trying to work out the flux before the resistance inserted and then after it's inserted to be able to know what the change in speed is?

Joe85 said:
Thanks again, So i should begin by trying to work out the flux before the resistance inserted and then after it's inserted to be able to know what the change in speed is?
Yes.
Speed is proportional to back emf/flux.

Right and the only equation that seems of any use to be able to resolve for flux is: E1/E2=Φn1/Φn2. I feel like a complete idiot but I cannot see how to isolate Φ.

Edit: Ok so i believe by using the following equation i can isolate for n2:

n∝V/Φ
and Φ∝If

So n∝E/If and n=(E/If)*K

Which gives:

n2=( n1E2If1) )/( E1If2)

:confused:

Last edited:
Joe85 said:
I cannot see how to isolate Φ.
Φ is proportional to field current.

Just before you replied i edited this in above, honest :D

Edit: Ok so i believe by using the following equation i can isolate for n2:

n∝V/Φ
and Φ∝If

So n∝E/If and n=(E/If)*K

Which gives:

n2=( n1E2If1) )/( E1If2)

:confused:

Joe85 said:
n2=( n1E2If1) )/( E1If2)
Right.

Likes Joe85
Thank you. Your assistance and patience is very much appreciated.

Likes cnh1995

What is torque in a DC shunt motor?

Torque is the measure of rotational force exerted by a motor. In a DC shunt motor, torque is produced by the interaction between the magnetic field of the stator and the current flowing through the armature. It is responsible for the motor's ability to rotate and perform work.

How is torque calculated in a DC shunt motor?

To calculate torque in a DC shunt motor, you can use the formula T = KφI, where T is torque, K is a constant, φ is the flux produced by the stator, and I is the current flowing through the armature. This formula assumes a constant flux and a linear relationship between torque and current.

What is half rated torque in a DC shunt motor?

Half rated torque is the amount of torque that a motor can produce at half of its rated current. It is typically used as a reference point for determining a motor's maximum output and efficiency. It is important to note that the actual half rated torque may vary depending on the motor's design and operating conditions.

How do you find the torque of a DC shunt motor experimentally?

To find the torque of a DC shunt motor experimentally, you can use a dynamometer or torque sensor to measure the motor's output torque at various current levels. By plotting the torque versus current data, you can determine the relationship between torque and current and calculate the motor's torque at any given current.

What factors can affect the torque and half rated torque of a DC shunt motor?

The torque and half rated torque of a DC shunt motor can be affected by several factors, including the design and size of the motor, the strength of the magnetic field, the quality of the electrical connections, and the operating voltage and current. Temperature and wear and tear can also impact the motor's torque and half rated torque over time.