Can the 555 IC help me switch between LED's using a DC power source?

• Thread starter nheugel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dc
In summary, the speaker is seeking help in designing a circuit that will allow them to alternate between two LED's using a DC power source. They mention the use of an integrated circuit called the 555 and suggest looking up oscillators for more information.
nheugel
I have a DC power source and 2 LED's. I know they are polarized and only work with the current running one way. I need to swtich between the two electrodes but I am not sure how to design a circuit using a DC source that will switch back and forth at a defined rate. Can anyone suggest either a device or a circuit set up that will allow me to alternate between the two LED's using a DC power source?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up oscillators using the 555 integrated circuit, being the very first IC there is probably more information online for it than anything other than Lindsay Lohan.

1. How does a DC switch work with LED lights?

DC switches work by controlling the flow of direct current (DC) electricity to the LED lights. The switch acts as a gate, allowing or preventing the flow of electricity to the lights.

2. Can any type of DC switch be used for LED lights?

No, not all DC switches are suitable for LED lights. LED lights require a specific type of switch, known as a DC constant current switch, to ensure the proper amount of current is delivered to the lights.

3. How does a DC constant current switch differ from a regular DC switch?

A DC constant current switch is designed to maintain a constant flow of current to the LED lights, regardless of changes in voltage. This is important because LED lights are sensitive to changes in current and can be damaged if too much or too little current is supplied.

4. What happens if a non-constant current DC switch is used for LED lights?

If a non-constant current DC switch is used for LED lights, it can lead to flickering or inconsistent lighting, as well as potentially damaging the LED lights. It is important to use the correct type of switch to ensure the longevity and proper functioning of the LED lights.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a DC switch with LED lights?

As with any electrical component, there are always safety concerns to consider when using a DC switch with LED lights. It is important to follow proper wiring procedures and use a switch that is rated for the appropriate voltage and current to ensure safe operation of the lights.