Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dc to sine

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    hello world. i am interested in a simple inverter circuit that would also be easily adjustable, i.e. frequency, amplitude. but i want to build using most general discrete circuit elements. NO integrated circuits NO comparators NO etc... just inductor, capacitor, resistor, DC supply ( any volt any amount of energy ), diode etc.. can you suggest anything. By the way i built that flashing led circuit using 555( not to be used in this circuit :) ), thanks to all who helped ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2
    Depends on what you want to get.
    If you just want to see a sine wave, then you can put it together from the pieces.

I.e. make a sine wave generator - a Colpitts oscillator is an easy enough approximation and can be adjustable to any frequency - then connect it's output to a switching pair of transistors to turn the oscillator's signal into AC current.

Very roughly, it will look like this:
    simple_inv.png

If you want to power something with the resulting AC or get a precise and tested schematic, then wait for someone else to answer. :)

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

What are you wanting to power with your sine wave?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook