1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Transmission Line Problem

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have been asked to develop a cross-country DC electrical transmission line to deliver 300MW of power to a town 200km away. This design is to only have a 2% loss (98% efficiency). If the line voltage is 600kV, what is the minimum diameter that the aluminum wire can be?

2. Relevant equations

R = p * l / A
    P = I * V
    P = (I ^ 2) * R
    P = (V ^ 2) / R

3. The attempt at a solution

This problem seems simple enough to me, yet I heard the answer I got was wrong.

P = (V^2)/R
    ---R = p * l / A
    ------A = pi * d^2 / 4
    ---R = 4 * p * l / (pi * d^2)
    P = (V^2) / (4 * p * l / (pi * d^2))
    P = pi * d^2 * V^2 / (4 * p * l)
    d = sq(4 * p * l * P / (pi * V^2))
    ---P = 2% of total power = .02 * 300e6 Watts
    d = sq(4 * 2.7e-8 * 200e3 * .02 * 300e6 / (pi * (600e3)^2)
    d = 3.460e-4 m = 0.000346 meters

However something is wrong, because thats not the right answer (and that would be a REALLY small wire!).
    From what I understand power in the P=V^2*R equation is equal to the power dissipated, or the power lost. Is that correct?

I found someones attempt online, though some parts seem off to me, and I don't understand why they did the two things they noted. Also, we used different resistivities, but that is not a big deal.

(http://physics.hivepc.com/eminduct.html)

p of aluminum is 2.65x10^-8

I = P/V.
    I = 300x10^6W/600x10^3V = 500A.

P_Loss = I^2R.
    (300x10^6*.02*1.02 ) = 500^2*R (PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO .02*1.02*P_input)
    24.48 = R
    R = pL/A, 24.48= 2.65x10^-8 * 2*200x10^3/pi*r^2
    *NOTE* in a dc line there is a to and fro, so two times the distance.
    2r = d.
    d = 2.348cm

It also appeared on chegg, but I can't view it without the subscription... (http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...mw-ofelectricity-200-km-with-only-a-2--q75618)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've applied the 2% in the wrong way (backwards) leading to 1/50th of the correct answer.

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the response. How are you saying I should change the values in my equation? Should power be equal to .98 * 300MW?

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's a bit hard to follow your working because you don't discriminate clearly between the total power the line is carrying and the power lost to resistance. P = (V^2)/R is valid if R is the total resistive load across which the voltage drop V occurs. So if R includes the useful load on the circuit, not just the losses, then P is the 300MW, but if R is the resistance of the wire then you need to break this into two stages:
    Total power = Voltage * Current
    Lost power = Current2 * Resistance
    The net effect of your confusion was to multiply by the 2% instead of dividing by it (or v.v.).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted