Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DCM & CCM DC-DC flyback converter help please!

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I need your help in designing and controlling a DC to DC flyback converter that operate in both CCM & DCM. where to start? and what is special about these kind of converters? and will i find a ready-made transformer for such a converter? how to choose the right MOSFET? what parameters will play the role of deciding the operation mode?
    can you suggest a reference-design or a datasheet so i can start the job.

many thanks in advance

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? Is this for schoolwork?

What research have you done so far? Have you looked at the National Semiconductor Simple Switcher series? I don't know offhand if they support the flyback topology, but you can learn a lot from the Simple Switcher series of parts & support docs.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

a google on those terms takes one to Fairchild appnotes that appear very detailed.

a few years ago i thought i was going to get into such a project and did some looking. At that time Coilcraft had interactive design aids that looked extremely easy to use, which was what i needed.

I also echo Berkeman's sentiment about National's simple switchers..
    they have excellent application notes.
    i started with AN556, AN711 and AN1253
    though they might be too basic for you..

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    I know Power Integrations supports flyback designs.
    http://www.powerint.com/
    They sell evaluation kits and have links to purchase the transformers used in many of their designs.

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    To do this right you need good references. I highly reccomend "Switch-mode power supplies" by Basso. He is gifted at explaining how these things work and how they should be designed in the real world.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook