DDR-SDRAM Upgrade Troubleshooting

• Thread starter EMANUELI
  • Start date
In summary: Make sure it's DDR-SDRAM, not DDR-DRAM. In summary, the person upgraded their PC to DDR-DRAM, but the machine wouldn't boot up. They attempted to upgrade with two new sticks of 256MB each, but the machine still wouldn't boot up. They also tried to update the BIOS, but weren't too good at it and weren't successful. They then tried to upgrade to Windows XP, but still had problems. The person is wondering if they should upgrade to Windows XP or if they should look for another ram.
EMANUELI
DDR-DRAM Upgarade Problems

I have a Compaq Evo D310 with a motherbord ms -6541 ver 2.1 OS Win98se RAM memory is 128MB (DDR- 266mhz-cl2.5 PC2100u-25330). I wanted to upgrade the RAM to 512mb so I bought two new stick with 256MB of RAM each (DDR -PC2100).I put this two new RAM then my PC can not bootup at all, but when I replace with the old one everything wents fine. I have alredy tried a couple of things this include put one stick of 256MB insted of both 512 and this bootup the machine but stack when loading windows! I have change the setting by limit the amount of RAM to 120MB in MSconfig advance settings but still found problems. Disable system rom breakpoint,Disable Virtual HD IRQ, Force compatibility mode disk access all of this still the same thing! I have also tried to edit windows/system.ini file by adding the entry to Vcache "Maxfile cache=524288" but still problems. If the idea is to change the OS to win XP its OK but i am afraid if I might facing the same problems.
Could anyone advice of what I can do to upgrade this PC to 512MB? Please this is very argent and i don't know what to do next. I will really apriciate for your good responce as it can help a lot of people who facing the same problems. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Why did you limit the RAM to 120MB? Maybe it has to be more than 512.

Thanks For Your Early Responce Ramollari ,yes I Did Limit The Ram To Try To Fix The Problem But It Didn't Work Out. Currenly I Have Set All Configuration To Default. Any Idea? Thanks!

Make sure the 2x256K memory is compatible. You did not specify any detail on the upgrade.

IIRC, one cannot install ECC error check if non-ECC is specificed, and vice versa.

Still facing problem with RAM Please HELP!

Astronuc said:
Make sure the 2x256K memory is compatible. You did not specify any detail on the upgrade.

IIRC, one cannot install ECC error check if non-ECC is specificed, and vice versa.

I went to compaq website and found all the information regurding specification of the correct RAM to be installed. I bought the correct one and something else change.The machine is boot up fine and it shows that the RAM is upgraded to 256MB correctly, The thing is it fail to load windows and desplay the error Windows protection error Vcache, Unable to initializing device, Please restart your computer. This is happen even in a safe mode. Below is what supporse to be the correct RAM for Compaq D310:
DDR-SDRAM,168 Pin Unbuffered, PC-1600-200MHZ or PC-2100-266MHZ 2.5v
CAS Latency 2 or 2.5,Must contain JEDEC and SPD information.
NOTE: intel 845g chipset does not support ECC memory.

I still don't know what to do, What if i upgrade it to win XP? will this solve the problem? Some one suggested that i should update BIOS but i am not too good in this, Any help, Idea, Comments will be great upriciate.

Try loosening the CAS latency to 2.5 or 3. Make sure the fsb frequency is correct (and you may even want to drop it a little just to test). It doesn't sound like an OS problem, since you're having boot problems - though 98SE probaby won't be able to do much with that much ram.

It may just be crappy ram - what brand is it or where did you get it? You can probably take it to a computer store and have them slap it into their ram tester for free.

What is DDR-SDRAM?

DDR-SDRAM stands for Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory. It is a type of computer memory used for storing and retrieving data in electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones. DDR-SDRAM is an improved version of SDRAM, with faster data transfer rates and lower power consumption.

What are the common problems encountered when upgrading DDR-SDRAM?

The most common problems encountered when upgrading DDR-SDRAM include compatibility issues, incorrect installation, and faulty hardware. It is important to check the specifications of your device and ensure that the new DDR-SDRAM is compatible. Proper installation is also crucial, as even small mistakes can cause problems. Faulty hardware can also lead to issues, so it is important to purchase high-quality DDR-SDRAM from a reputable manufacturer.

How can compatibility issues be avoided when upgrading DDR-SDRAM?

To avoid compatibility issues when upgrading DDR-SDRAM, it is important to check the specifications of your device and ensure that the new DDR-SDRAM meets the requirements. This includes checking the type, speed, and capacity of the memory. It is also recommended to purchase DDR-SDRAM from the same manufacturer as your device, as they are more likely to be compatible.

What are the steps for correctly installing DDR-SDRAM?

The steps for correctly installing DDR-SDRAM may vary depending on the device, but generally, it involves turning off the device, opening the case, locating the memory slots, inserting the DDR-SDRAM into the slot at a 45-degree angle, and pressing it down until it clicks into place. It is important to refer to the device's manual for specific instructions and to handle the DDR-SDRAM carefully to avoid damaging it.

How can I troubleshoot problems with my upgraded DDR-SDRAM?

If you encounter problems after upgrading your DDR-SDRAM, the first step is to check for any loose connections or incorrect installations. If everything seems to be in order, you can try removing the new DDR-SDRAM and using your old memory to see if the problem persists. It is also recommended to update your device's BIOS or firmware, as it may be necessary for compatibility with the new memory. If the problem persists, it may be a sign of faulty hardware, and it is best to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.