What type of DDR3 RAM should I buy for my computer upgrade?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ram
In summary, the conversation discusses upgrading a computer by adding more memory. The computer runs on UBUNTU 16.04 with an AMD A8-7650K processor and AMD KAVERI graphics. The individual is considering purchasing 1600MHz 2x8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Desktop PC DIMM memory, but wants to confirm if it is compatible with their computer, which has four slots with two currently occupied by 8GB 1600MHz memory. The individual also mentions the option of replacing the memory with faster DDR3-2133 memory, but notes that it may not significantly improve performance. They also mention purchasing Kingston HyperX "Savage" 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I want to upgrade my computer by adding more memory to it.
My PC runs on UBUNTU 16.04 with:
processor: AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G × 4
graphics: AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-190-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)

I thought of purchasing: 1600MHz 2x8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Desktop PC DIMM Memory Ram

So I searched through my terminal how many slots do my PC have, it seems I have only two more slots (currently have 2x8GB).

Here's the output of the terminal:
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 33
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 16GiB
*-bank:0
description: SODIMM DDR3 [empty]
product: A1_PartNum0
vendor: A1_Manufacturer0
physical id: 0
serial: A1_SerialNum0
slot: DIMM 0
width: 64 bits
*-bank:1
description: DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
vendor: A-DATA
physical id: 1
serial: A23B0000
slot: DIMM 1
size: 8GiB
clock: 1600MHz (0.6ns)
*-bank:2
description: SODIMM DDR3 [empty]
product: A1_PartNum2
vendor: A1_Manufacturer2
physical id: 2
serial: A1_SerialNum2
slot: DIMM 0
*-bank:3
description: DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
vendor: A-DATA
physical id: 3
serial: A13B0000
slot: DIMM 1
size: 8GiB
clock: 1600MHz (0.6ns)
So am I right in that I:
1. have 4 slots, two are occupied with 8GB 1600 MHZ, and 2 more slots.
2. my option of purchase is: 1600MHz 2x8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Desktop PC DIMM Memory Ram which is compatible with AMD motherboard.
?
Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes you have read that correctly. Another option would be to replace the memory for faster memory that runs at higher speed also but you would need to change it all as all the memory needs to run at the same speed, if you have 2 slower and 2 faster memory modules the whole lot will work at the slower speed. Also might be worth using DDR4 instead if your motherboard supports it but again you would need to replace the lot.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
The SODIMM report is funny. SODIMMs are usually laptop memory, and I have never seen a motherboard that mixed DIMMs and SO-DIMMs. I'd open the case and take a look before spending money.

It is highly unlikely that this board will do DDR3 and DDR4. Adding memory will cost of order $45. Replacing memory with DDR3-2133 (the fastest the chip supports) is around $150. While the memory is 33% faster, the computer will not be, since it's not always waiting on memory.

As a side comment, if you are a power user, MORE memory is a better choice than faster memory

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and harborsparrow
I am adding the model number of my PC desktop memory:
ADATA AD3U1600D8GM-8 DDR3_1600(11)8GX 16_U_DIMM 10242281

Is 1600MHz 2x8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Desktop PC DIMM Memory Ram suitable to my computer?
Thanks in advance.

Thats looks like it should be ok based on the infomration you have provided.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
MikeeMiracle said:
Thats looks like it should be ok based on the infomration you have provided.
Thanks!

For my desktop, I bought Kingston HyperX "Savage" 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM XMP (2 x 8GB kit - HX316C9SRK2/16) (red color). These have timings 9-9-9-27 at 1.5 volts. They may be hard to find now.

1. What is the difference between DDR3 RAM and other types of RAM?

DDR3 RAM is the third generation of Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM, which is a type of computer memory used for temporary data storage. The main difference between DDR3 and other types (such as DDR, DDR2, and DDR4) is the data transfer rate, which is the speed at which data can be read from or written to the memory. DDR3 RAM has a higher data transfer rate than DDR and DDR2, but a lower rate than DDR4.

2. How much DDR3 RAM do I need for my computer?

The amount of DDR3 RAM you need depends on your computer's usage and specifications. Generally, 4GB of RAM is the minimum requirement for most computers, 8GB is recommended for average usage, and 16GB or more is recommended for heavy multitasking, gaming, or other demanding applications. It is important to check your computer's specifications and consult with a professional if you are unsure about the amount of RAM you need.

3. What is the difference between DDR3 DIMMs and SODIMMs?

DDR3 RAM is available in two form factors: DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module) and SODIMM (Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module). The main difference between the two is their physical size, with SODIMMs being smaller and typically used in laptops and smaller form factor computers. DIMMs, on the other hand, are larger and used in desktop computers. It is important to make sure you purchase the correct form factor for your computer.

4. What is the difference between DDR3 1600 and DDR3 1866?

The numbers following DDR3 (such as 1600 and 1866) refer to the memory's speed in megahertz (MHz). DDR3 1600 has a speed of 1600MHz, while DDR3 1866 has a speed of 1866MHz. Generally, higher MHz means better performance, but the difference may not be noticeable for everyday usage. It is important to check your computer's specifications to see which speed is compatible.

5. Can I mix different speeds or brands of DDR3 RAM in my computer?

It is not recommended to mix different speeds or brands of DDR3 RAM in your computer. This can cause compatibility issues and may result in system instability or crashes. It is best to use RAM with identical speeds and from the same brand to ensure optimal performance.