How Do You Integrate Complex Numbers into Differential Equations Solutions?

In summary, the conversation involved a problem involving substitution to solve a differential equation. The solution involved using Euler's identity and the quadratic equation to solve for the roots. There was also discussion about manipulating complex numbers and finding the general solution to the problem. The final result involved a combination of sinh and cosh functions.
sisigsarap
I believe that I have worked the problem correctly to the point where I am, however I am not sure how to incorporate complex numbers into my answer?

The problem is :Make the substitution v = ln x to solve 4x^2 * y" + 8xy' - 3y = 0. Where " represents double prime, and ' represents prime.

This is my work so far:
v = ln x dv/dx = 1/x

dy/dx = dy/dv * dv/dx
dy/dx = dy/dv * 1/x

d"y/dx" = d/dx [dy/dv * 1/x] - dy/dv * 1/x^2
= 1/x * d/dx[dy/dv] - dy/dv * 1/x^2
= 1/x^2 * d"y/dv" - dy/dv * 1/x^2

Then plugging into the original equation:

4x^2[t/x^2 * d"y/dv" - dy/dv * 1/x^2] + 8x[dy/dv * 1/x] - 3y = 0
which can be broken down to
4d"y/dv" + 4dy/dv - 3y = 0

Substituting in R, i get 4r^2 + 4r - 3 = 0
This does not readily look factorable to me so I use the quadratic equation.
[-4 +- Square Root of (16 - 48)]/8

Here is where I run into the problem, does that turn into [-2 +- Square root of (8i)] / 4

It has been a while since I have dealt with complex numbers and I do not recall how to manipulate them.

If that is the correct equation, can anyone tell me how to finish the problem?

Thanks,

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure,use Euler's identity:
[tex]e^{i\theta}\equiv \cos\theta+i\sin\theta [/tex]

for the cmplex exponential part.

Daniel.

So would I be correct in saying that :

y = e^((-1/2)*x)*[(C1Cos((Square root of 2)/2)*X) + (C2Sin((Square root of 2)/2)*X)]

is correct?

Where C1 represents some constant and C2 represents some other constant.

Not "x",but "v"...So in terms of "x",u should have some sine & cosine of natural logarithms...

Daniel.

sisigsarap said:
The problem is :Make the substitution v = ln x to solve 4x^2 * y" + 8xy' - 3y = 0. Where " represents double prime, and ' represents prime.

4x^2[t/x^2 * d"y/dv" - dy/dv * 1/x^2] + 8x[dy/dv * 1/x] - 3y = 0
which can be broken down to
4d"y/dv" + 4dy/dv - 3y = 0

Substituting in R, i get 4r^2 + 4r - 3 = 0
This does not readily look factorable to me so I use the quadratic equation.
[-4 +- Square Root of (16 - 48)]/8

If that is the correct equation, can anyone tell me how to finish the problem?

Josh

You've made a little mistake, it is 16+48 under the square root. You know, (-b+-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/2a. is the solution of the equation ax^2 + bx +c =0.

ehild

Wow! Thanks for the help guys!

And thanks for catching my mistake ehild! I guess that is why I shouldn't work on these problems at the wee hours of the morning.

Ups,i didn't follow your calculations...Just commented on the final result.

Daniel.

P.S.So you have a combination of sinh and cosh...

This is a Euler equation in the standard form:

[tex]ax^my^{(m)}+bx^{(m-1)}y^{(m-1)}+...+ky=0[/tex]

The general solution is of the form: [itex]y(x)=\sum_i^m c_ix^{(m_i)}[/itex]
where [itex] m_i[/itex] are the roots of the polynomial when [itex]x^m[/itex] is substituted into the ODE.

The polynomial equation for the ODE of the original posts is:

[tex]4m^2+4m-3=0[/tex]

Thus, the solution is seen to be:

[tex] y(x)=c_1x^{\frac{1}{2}}+c_2x^{\frac{-3}{2}}[/tex]

Can you attempt to solve the following:

[tex] 4x^2y''+8xy'+3y=0[/tex]

This produces complex roots which necessarily involve terms of the form:
[itex]\cos(\ln[u(x)])[/itex] and [itex]\sin(\ln[v(x)])[/tex] in which [itex]u(x)[/itex] and [itex]v(x)[/itex] are powers of x. Just absorb the imaginary i into the arbritrary constants to get a real-valued function. Although I believe the function is valid only for x>0 because of the logarithm involved. This is what I got:
[tex]
y[x]={c_1}\multsp \frac{\cos \big[\ln \big[{x^{\frac{1}{{\sqrt{2}}}}}\big]\big]}{{\sqrt{x}}}+\\
\noalign{\vspace{2.125ex}}
\hspace{2.em} {c_2}\multsp \frac{\sin \big[\ln \big[{x^{\frac{1}{{\sqrt{2}}}}}\big]\big]}{{\sqrt{x}}}
[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between DE and complex numbers?

Differential equations (DE) are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems in various scientific fields. Complex numbers, on the other hand, are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are used in mathematics to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone.

2. How are DE and complex numbers related?

Complex numbers play a crucial role in solving DEs. In many cases, the solutions to DEs involve complex numbers. For example, the solution to a second-order DE may involve the use of complex numbers to represent oscillations and sinusoidal functions.

3. Can complex numbers be used to solve any DE?

No, not all DEs can be solved using complex numbers. Some DEs have real solutions that do not involve complex numbers. However, for many DEs, complex numbers are necessary to obtain a complete solution.

4. How do complex numbers affect the stability of a DE solution?

Complex numbers can have a significant impact on the stability of a DE solution. In some cases, the presence of complex numbers can lead to oscillatory behavior in the solution, which may make it unstable. However, in other cases, complex numbers can help stabilize a solution and prevent it from growing without bound.

5. Are there any real-world applications of DE and complex numbers?

Yes, there are numerous real-world applications of DE and complex numbers. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and analyze complex systems. Some examples include predicting population growth, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding the behavior of fluids.