Is There a Solution to the Boundary Condition Problem for y-2y'+2y=0?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining if a solution for the given equation can satisfy the specified boundary conditions. The individual is unsure about how to approach the problem and asks for clarification. They find the constants for the solution and question whether it is enough to satisfy the boundary conditions. The expert confirms that the solution satisfies the conditions and provides the final function.
Lancelot59
I'm asked to determine if for the solution
[tex]y=c_{1}e^{x}cos(x)+c_{2}e^{x}sin(x)[/tex]
for:
[tex]y"-2y'+2y=0[/tex]

whether a member of the family can be found that satisfies the boundary conditions:
[tex]y(0)=1[/tex], [tex]y'(\pi)=0[/tex]

Not quite sure what to do here. The examples in my book give boundary conditions for the same function, not derivatives.

When I put the first condition into y, I got c1=1, then substituting that result into the derivative condition I found c2=-1. So I found the constants, does this mean that there is a member of the family that can satisfy the boundary condition? For some reason I think there should be a Wronskian involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a member of the family that satisfies the boundary condition and you found it:
[tex]y(x)= e^x cos(x)- e^x sin(x)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, thanks for the help!

1. What is a DE Boundary Condition Problem?

A DE Boundary Condition Problem is a type of mathematical problem in which a differential equation (DE) is subject to certain conditions at the boundaries of its domain. These conditions are known as boundary conditions and are used to determine a unique solution for the DE.

2. What are the types of boundary conditions in a DE Boundary Condition Problem?

There are three main types of boundary conditions: Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the value of the solution at the boundary, Neumann boundary conditions specify the derivative of the solution at the boundary, and Robin boundary conditions are a combination of both.

3. How is a DE Boundary Condition Problem solved?

A DE Boundary Condition Problem is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, or spectral methods. These methods involve dividing the domain into smaller segments and approximating the solution at each point using a set of equations. This results in a system of equations that can be solved to obtain the solution for the DE.

4. What are the applications of DE Boundary Condition Problems?

DE Boundary Condition Problems have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields. They are also used in the development of computer simulations and numerical models.

5. Are there any challenges associated with solving DE Boundary Condition Problems?

Yes, there are some challenges associated with solving DE Boundary Condition Problems. One of the main challenges is determining appropriate boundary conditions that accurately represent the physical system being modeled. Another challenge is ensuring the numerical methods used to solve the problem are stable and accurate. Additionally, complex DEs with nonlinear terms can be difficult to solve, and may require advanced techniques or approximations.