De Broglie: Kinetic or Total Energy?

• I
  • Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
  • Tags
    De broglie
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula ##E=\hbar \omega## and whether the variable E represents only kinetic energy or the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy plus potential energy). The conclusion is that E represents the total energy, as confirmed by the follow-up question.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Just a quick question (although there is a followup depending on the answer). In the formula ##E=\hbar \omega##, is E only kinetic energy or the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy plus potential energy). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hamiltonian is kinetic + potential energy

Likes bhobba and Isaac0427
BvU said:
The Hamiltonian is kinetic + potential energy
I know that, I'm asking about the E in the equation ##E=\hbar \omega##.

It is the total energy

Isaac0427 said:
although there is a followup depending on the answer
Well, out with it :smile: !

BvU said:
Well, out with it :smile: !
As I said, depending on the answer. If it was just the kinetic energy, I would have been confused about something, but apparently I was right to be confused because it is the total energy.

What is De Broglie's theory of kinetic and total energy?

De Broglie's theory states that particles, such as electrons, have both kinetic and potential energy. The kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while the potential energy is the energy associated with the particle's position in an electric field.

How does De Broglie's theory relate to quantum mechanics?

De Broglie's theory was one of the key principles that led to the development of quantum mechanics. It helped to explain the wave-like behavior of particles, which was previously thought to only apply to waves.

What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle according to De Broglie's theory?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle according to De Broglie's theory is E = (h^2 * f^2)/(8 * m), where h is Planck's constant, f is the particle's frequency, and m is the particle's mass.

Can De Broglie's theory be applied to all particles?

Yes, De Broglie's theory can be applied to all particles, including larger ones like atoms and molecules. However, it is most commonly used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons.

How does De Broglie's theory explain the dual nature of particles?

De Broglie's theory explains the dual nature of particles by showing that they exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This is known as wave-particle duality, and it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.