Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie thought experiment

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    Say I was to somehow get in a car and drive at half the speed of light or so... my wave-like nature would show up right? What do you think this would look like from my perspective? from an observers perspective? What does it even mean to acquire a wavelength. What kind of wave do I become, transverse, longitudinal, Schroedinger-esque? Does it happen to my body as a whole, or to my individual particles?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

If you were driving at half the speed of light ( with respect to the ground ) you would certainly look a bit different to someone standing by the roadside, but you will not 'become a wave'. If we accept wave-particle duality, you are a wave already !

The wave function that describes particles ( as in quantum mechanics) for your whole self would be a combination of the waves describing your constituent particles and so on.
    This wave probably does not have actual physical existence, because it is in a mathematical space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?