Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De broglie wave equation

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    i've just learnt de broglie wave equation in chemistry which tells that matter can act as wave.
    if an electron is moving at a certain speed(v) at which its wavelength is comparably in meters. If a football is made to move at the same speed (v),will it behave as a wave? Since Football also has electrons then why dont individual electrons(in football moving with same velocity v) behave as wave?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Bear in mind:
    The deBroglie "matter waves" are a stepping-stone concept useful for teaching but the theory is not complete. As you advance in your studies you will encounter more complete ideas.

It is not so much that "matter can behave as a wave" but that the intuitive distinction between matter and waves is in error. It's like the old saw about the blind men and the elephant - what you "see" depends on how you "look". That should hold you for now ;) I don't want to get too far off the material in your course for fear of confusing you further.

To answer your questions - the football always have wavelike properties. To observe them, though, requires very narrow slits. Every part of the football does this.

The wavelength equation is:$$\lambda_{dB}=\frac{h}{\gamma m_0 v}$$... i.e. as the speed increases, the wavelength decreases. Or, classically, $$\lambda_{dB}=\frac{h}{mv}$$... so: at what speed, v, will the wavelength of an electron be on the scale of meters?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook