1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie wavelength issues

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    The atoms in a gas can be treated as classical particles if their de Broglie wavelength is much smaller than the average separation between the particles. Compare the average de Broglie wavelength and the average separation between the atoms in a container of monatomic helium gas at 1.00 atm pressure and at room temperature (20 degrees C). At what temperature and pressure would you expect quantum effects to become important.

I've calculated the de Broglie wavelength but I can't get the spacing between the atoms. Am I forgetting something from Chemistry? Can anyone give me a hint? I feel like I need a volume but clearly it isn't in the given info.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello. My hint would be "ideal gas law". You don't need volume, but you do need volume per particle.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    Awesome. I thought it had something to do with that. Thanks a lot.

5. Oct 16, 2013 #4
    I figured instead of putting this question into a new thread, I'd simply necro this one.

I'm currently stuck on this problem staring at a blank page. I understand that the De Broglie Wavelength formula is necessary here as well as the Ideal Gas Law, but I must be missing something. Can anyone give me a hint just to get me on track with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted