Can a Single Point Grapefruit Create an Interference Pattern?

In summary, this question promoted the wrong picture that a single particle generates a complete interference pattern and that one observes on the screen a superposition of identical patterns, each produced by a single particle.
stuDYING
Homework Statement
Even a grapefruit has a de Broglie wavelength.

If the grapefruit is thrown with a speed of 8 m/s toward a wall with two holes separated by 0.6 m, find the angular separation between successive maxima of the resulting interference pattern. Treat the grapefruit as point-like and assume its mass is 0.6 kg. Planck’s constant is 6.62607 × 10^−34 J · s. Answer in units of radian.
Relevant Equations
lambda = h/p
I tried using lamba = h/p as follows:

(6.626 * 10^-34 J *s) / (8 m.s * 0.6 kg) = 1.38041667*10^−34

and then using the small angle approximation sin(alpha) = lamba/d as follows:

(1.38041667*10^−34)/(0.6m) = 2.30069444 * 10^−34

then converting to radians with the following:

(2.30069444 * 10^−34) * (pi/180) = 4.01546931* 10^−36

However, this answer is none of the answer choices so I did something wrong. I think I might have not been supposed to use the small angle approximation but I'm not sure if that's the only thing and if so how to fix it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there. I think you converted the ##sin(\alpha)## into radians, not the actual angle ##\alpha##. How do you change ##sin(x)## to ##x##.?

Likes stuDYING
osilmag said:
Hey there. I think you converted the ##sin(\alpha)## into radians, not the actual angle ##\alpha##. How do you change ##sin(x)## to ##x##.?

Oh gosh I'm so dumb sometimes. You're completely right - thank you so much!

Likes berkeman
I don't mind preposterous problems, but I do mind nonsense problems that try to be cute but actually undermine what is to be reinforced. It's OK to suspend disbelief and go along with the gag of a "point" 0.6-kg grapefruit. However, the question asserts that there is a "resulting interference pattern." Huh? That's not OK. A single point grapefruit does not make an interference pattern; it makes a single (point) splat on the observation screen.

One needs to use many many point grapefruits to see the interference pattern eventually emerge on the screen, in this case as streaks of grapefruit juice. The gradual emergence of the interference pattern, one particle at a time, has been experimentally verified with low-intensity interference experiments. Whether you believe that a photon interferes with itself or not, when it hits that screen and you measure its position BAM! it collapses to a point in space where the probability of being there is high. This question promotes the wrong picture that a single particle generates a complete interference pattern and that one observes on the screen a superposition of identical patterns, each produced by a single particle. Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! :rolleyes:

Likes PeroK

1. What is the De Broglie Wavelength problem?

The De Broglie Wavelength problem is a concept in quantum mechanics that explains the wave-like behavior of particles. It was proposed by French physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924, and it states that all particles, including matter, have a wavelength associated with them. This wavelength is inversely proportional to the particle's momentum, and it can be observed in experiments such as electron diffraction.

2. Why is the De Broglie Wavelength important?

The De Broglie Wavelength is important because it helps us understand the duality of particles, which can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This concept is crucial in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and is fundamental in many areas of modern physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics.

3. How is the De Broglie Wavelength calculated?

The De Broglie Wavelength is calculated using the formula λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity. This formula is based on the wave-particle duality principle, which states that the momentum of a particle is related to its wavelength.

4. Can the De Broglie Wavelength be observed in everyday objects?

Yes, the De Broglie Wavelength can be observed in everyday objects, but it is extremely small for macroscopic objects. For example, the De Broglie Wavelength of a baseball thrown at 90 mph is about 10^-34 meters, which is far too small to be observed. However, it can be observed in experiments with subatomic particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

5. What is the significance of the De Broglie Wavelength in quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie Wavelength is significant in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also plays a crucial role in the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously. The De Broglie Wavelength is also used in many quantum mechanical equations and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.