1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie wavelength

1. Dec 8, 2005 #1
    we were having a discussion about this in physics and my teacher mentioned a relationship between the formula and some angle (don't know which!) but it's not on the syllabus any more, i was wondering does anyone know anything about this?

cheers for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Was there by any chance some mention of the "Compton effect"? Or was it mentioned in terms of x-rays? Or perhaps electron diffraction?

The deBroglie wavelength is used in may advanced physics applications; you'd have to give us some kind of clue here.

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3
    well it must be something pretty simple as it's only AS level physics, it came up during a discussion about the photoelectric effect...

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My guess is that your teacher was talking about the Compton effect in which a photon collides with an electron. such a collision demonstrates the momentum of the photon since the electron recoils with a change in momentum. The photon (an x-ray) scatters at an angle theta according to the following formula:
    [tex]\lambda '- \lambda=(h/mc)(1-cos \theta)[/tex]

the (h/mc) term is the "Compton wavelength" of the recoiling electron

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?