De Broglie Wavelength of Accelerated Proton

• Thread starter zimo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, to find the de Broglie wavelength of a proton accelerated from rest through a 1kV potential, we can use the equation \lambda = h/p and solve for momentum by comparing energies. However, one must make sure to use the correct units for Planck constant (J*s instead of eV*s) to get a sensible answer.
zimo

Homework Statement

A proton is accelerated from rest through a potential of 1kV. Find its de Broglie wavelength.

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda=h/p[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get p (momentum) by energy comparison:

e*1000=0.5*m*v^2
v=437 621.130 016 524 m/s

which doesn't makes sense... what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean 437621.130016524 m/s? Or 437,621,130,016,524 m/s? If the first, then that is roughly what I get when using google calculator (but why so many places after the decimal??), why doesn't it make sense to you? If the second, then that indeed doesn't make sense ,and I would recommend trying to put in the numbers again.

Oh snap!
It didn't make sense since I used Planck constant with eV*s units all the time instead of J*s units... :grumpy:

Thanks nicksauce.

What is the De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton?

The De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton is a quantum mechanical concept that describes the wavelength of a particle in motion. It is given by the formula λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the proton, and v is its velocity.

How is the De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton different from a stationary proton?

The De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton is different from a stationary proton because the velocity of the particle affects its wavelength. A stationary proton has a fixed wavelength, while an accelerated proton has a variable wavelength that changes with its velocity.

What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton?

The De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that particles, like protons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. This concept is crucial in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles in quantum mechanics.

How does the De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The De Broglie wavelength is a measure of the uncertainty in the momentum of a particle, and the smaller the wavelength, the larger the uncertainty in its momentum.

Can the De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton be measured?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength of an accelerated proton can be measured using various experimental techniques. For example, in particle accelerators, the wavelength can be determined by measuring the velocity and mass of the proton. It can also be measured indirectly through its effects on diffraction patterns or interference fringes in experiments.